Replacement header

elianthony

5+ Year Member
I have an LX sedan that is stock, 135K on it, had my timing belt/water pump done recently and it was recommended that I replace the header due to an exhaust leak on the factory one. Does anyone have any suggestions for something under $300 that bolts right in with no mods? Not looking for performance just something quality that will replace the OEM unit. I looked on ebay and there is literally 1,000's from $50 on up.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think most ebay headers are ok. Before you purchase one, go through the sellers feedback history, and check their return policy. Some people say fitment may be off (may be true) but for those who say they run like crap probably did not install it correctly.

I know on 6th gen LX models, the cat is attached to the exhaust manifold. So when a header replaces it, you need a new cat) and to also extend the wires for the secondary o2 sensor. I am NOT Sure if this is the case with 7th gens. I guess just take a look under there and see where the cat is.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got burnt (not literally) by a bad ebay header. 100 bucks. Crappy fitment. A friend of mine got a Megan racing header for about 250 if I'm not mistaken, and it fit his just fine.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honestly, there isnt much difference in ebay brands and top quality brands other then cred and looks. if you really want a quality header you should get a welder and fab a set for yourself. its a fairly easy process.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you live in n area with rust then definitely don't buy an ebay header. i have a megan header and even that brand has rust problems and the gaskit that came with it was sub par.it also didn't come with spring bolts which are definitely needed so you don't put added stress on the welds. if i could go back i would definitely have spent the added money on a quality header like DC. the nuts on my megan header are completely seized and im going to end up paying for that in the near future. i also have a megan o2 simulator to get rid of my check engine light because my vp is catless now so if your catless and have emissions testing in your state you will fail the visual inspection unless you know somebody fortunately i know somebody wink wink.

Last edited:

elianthony

5+ Year Member
Thanks everyone for the info, I'm located in Ohio so we definitely get our share of rust issues with the cold climate. I will take a look at DC and Megan Racing and see what it available.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I ran a dc ceramic coated header for about two years. On another one of my civics I ran a ebay header for another couple of years. If you aren't fulling mapping out a build for your car then a single mod like a exhaust header wont really matter at all.

elianthony

5+ Year Member
Yea, definitely not doing any performance mods to the car, it is stock except for the audio system, wheels/tires, and alarm. I found a few headers that have 2 O2 sensors on the side and a few that have one in the front like oem.

elianthony

5+ Year Member
Do you guys know if all the aftermarket headers will bolt up to the stock exhaust system? I see ones specifically made for the DX and LX models. Bear with me as I am new to replacing car exhaust parts.......

Looking at the stock pic below, I see the cat is built into the stock header........

The aftermarket ones I see eliminate the cat....... I'm guessing the length is the same to meet the next connecting pipe? Would there be anything else needed besides a gasket and maybe an O2 adaptor for the top sensor?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You would need a catalytic convertor to stay emissions legal (if you require one), and will probably need to have an o2 sensor welded behind it. This also means lengthening the secondary o2 sensor wire to reach.

This is the same setup that 6th gen LX's have, confirming my first post. :thumbs up

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you have a dx,lx,vp then you need the header with the 2 bung holes like the one pictured unless you plan on welding on a cat and extending the secondary o2 sensor. if you do get that header you will need a o2 simulator to get rid of the p0420 engine light because your cat will be deleted. the o2 simulator will allow you to pass emission as long as there is no visual inspection or if you know somebody wink wink.

elianthony

5+ Year Member
I found a few that look identical to oem from $170-$270. Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have no performance plans, you should just remove your header and have it repaired by a welder. Itll be done in minutes.