Replacing Oil Pan Gasket Help

NandoKommando

I went to attempt to replace the oil pan gasket but found it was a larger task then I had planned. I had no idea that access to the bolts were restricted. Does anyone have experience with this? What's the easiest process to getting this thing done? What do I need to remove, and are there easier tools to use then a simple ratchet?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
remove the header and the flywheel cover and you should be able to get to every bolt

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He said it. An extension will greatly help your case also.

RonJ

Banned
I went to attempt to replace the oil pan gasket but found it was a larger task then I had planned. I had no idea that access to the bolts were restricted. Does anyone have experience with this? What's the easiest process to getting this thing done? What do I need to remove, and are there easier tools to use then a simple ratchet?
Car and engine? Stock?

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i did this on my y8, very simple task. As was stated, remove header to get your exhaust out of the way and flywheel and then int's just the pan bolts. Almost as simple as the valve cover gasket just takes a bit more time.

RonJ

Banned
Why is everyone suggesting to remove the header? That's not necessary. You must mean exhaust pipe A.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why is everyone suggesting to remove the header? That's not necessary. You must mean exhaust pipe A.

if he has exhaust pipe A, what if its a 4-1? lol but in all seriousness sometimes its easier to just remove the header since finding a gasket that fits right can be a pita

RonJ

Banned
sometimes its easier to just remove the header since finding a gasket that fits right can be a pita
What am I missing? It's much easier to remove exhaust pipe A than the header. The doughnut crush gasket can be found at auto parts stores, local Honda dealerships, online Honda parts sites, etc. And you don't always need to replace the gaskets on exhaust pipe A.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What am I missing? It's much easier to remove exhaust pipe A than the header. The doughnut crush gasket can be found at auto parts stores, local Honda dealerships, online Honda parts sites, etc. And you don't always need to replace the gaskets on exhaust pipe A.
the gasket that collects flange to flange, i know the donut gaskets are easy to find. but not all stores will have in stock a gasket for between the flanges for pipe A and the manifold from the head. or if you have a 4-1 header you have no choice

i might be misunderstanding what you are saying

RonJ

Banned
but not all stores will have in stock a gasket for between the flanges for pipe A and the manifold from the head. or if you have a 4-1 header you have no choice

i might be misunderstanding what you are saying
There is one or two aluminum crush gaskets between the header and exhaust pipe A. Of course, local and online Honda parts stores have them. I also have found them at chain auto parts stores. And again, you really don't have to replace them every time you remove exhaust pipe A, especially for OBD1 cars that lack a secondary O2 sensor.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is one or two aluminum crush gaskets between the header and exhaust pipe A. Of course, local and online Honda parts stores have them. I also have found them at chain auto parts stores. And again, you really don't have to replace them every time you remove exhaust pipe A, especially for OBD1 cars that lack a secondary O2 sensor.
hmm i actually never realized they used a donut style gasket on the upper part. im so use to aftermarket stuff where they dont use them

RonJ

Banned
hmm i actually never realized they used a donut style gasket on the upper part. im so use to aftermarket stuff where they dont use them
Unfortunately, we don't yet know what car the OP has and whether it is modified (e.g., exhaust system). In our discussion, I've assumed that he has a stock 5th gen Civic, but we won't know until he provides this key information, hence my first post in this thread.

Themegajosh09

I done this on a b18c1 and there was like 18 bolts on the oil pan and a flywheel cover. And I had to remove the header and it was easy

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

The nuts on mine were seized and I ended up breaking bolts and stuff. OP it may or may not be easier to take the header off just try taking the A pipe see how it goes.

NandoKommando

Yeah the bolts to remove the exhaust look like the will give me some trouble. Is there a trick to removing rusted bolts so that I don't do more harm than good? Also would anyone recommend getting a sealer like "flex seal" or the auto equivalent after cleaning it up?

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah the bolts to remove the exhaust look like the will give me some trouble. Is there a trick to removing rusted bolts so that I don't do more harm than good? Also would anyone recommend getting a sealer like "flex seal" or the auto equivalent after cleaning it up?
Try to losses them with steady pressure first, if it won't. I'd've give them a healthy bath in PB blaster penetrating fluid, wait about 30 min to an hour and try again. If it still won't break loose, soak them again and let it sit over night, do not start the car after soaking or you will burn off the fluid, it should come off by then. Don't try to shortcut around replacing the gasket, quick fixes will never last.