Replacing the Tie Rods

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My car makes this really bad noise when I drive. It seems relative with how fast I'm going. On the highway, it gets a little annoying 'cause it's so loud. It's like a vum vum vum vum vum vumvumvum sound that gets quicker and louder as I go faster. I was told it was the tie rods and wanted to know how easy they are to replace. Should I have a shop do it, or DIY it? I'm sure my uncle could help. Hes done plenty of work on the car including a rear disc brake conversion, so it should be easy for him, right? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tie rods deal more w/ the side to side in the steering, from what you described it could be a wheel bearing or a ball joint imho

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not sure... When I turn the wheel slightly to the left, the sound goes away.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm almost sounds like a bearing then, cause you possibly have slop in it and when you put the tension on it, it goes away, take it to midas for a free inspection would be your best bet

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
hmm almost sounds like a bearing then, cause you possibly have slop in it and when you put the tension on it, it goes away, take it to midas for a free inspection would be your best bet
Thanks man! I appreciate it.