roll bar...bad idea?

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
hey guys,

I'm wanting to put harness seat belts in my civic, originally I thought I would just buy a harness bar but after checking around sites I've seen a lot of negative comments about harness belts on harness bars, and how harness belts keep you up right and in the event of a roll over you wont be able to move your body like you can in a real seat belt (usually moving your body as in...flying through the windshield)

soo I've been thinking about roll bars because my step dad is a great welder and could get me the metal cheap, but I don't want a big set up (its a sedan) I just want enough to make it safe to have harness seat belts.

would just building a main hoop and bolting/welding it in be sufficient or not enough strength? maybe even give it double V legs instead of just one straight down?

any help is appreciate guys,

thanks

Ron...

5+ Year Member
I've honestly considered a roll bar in my sedan, but I doubt I'll ever do it. It's not that safe for any rear passengers you may have, even if everything is padded.

If you want to do one though, I'd mimic autopowers design, but modify the shape of the legs going back so that they'll hug the roof more. Then have them come down and either connect to the rear deck (reinforced of coarse) or go into the side "pillows" of the sedan rear seats (the extra wing things on the side of the back). You'd have to cut a hole in these and weld the bar to the metal behind them, which could be interesting.

Let us know how it goes!