Rolling fenders

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Who here has done it? I understand the process. Apply heat and slowly hammer/roll/whatever. My question is regarding the rubber "guard" if you will, on the rear quarter panel wheel well. Are you supposed to just cut that off or can you roll the panel with that still on? I ask this because I drive my car in the winter and I don't want to cut that and have salt getting up inside the quarter panel to start eating away from the inside.

Thanks in advance.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've done it.

You need to pull the rubber lining asap. That's like the first thing I did when I bought the car. Water gets caught up in there and causes premature rusting.

Sounds like you barely need them rolled, b/c when you roll a fender you normally ditch the fender lining as well. Mine are long gone, fronts and rears.

I just used a heat gun and warmed up the fender first, then rolled while a buddy held the gun to make sure it stayed warm.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Most def get rid of that rubber trim. Its the cause of most rust you see on Hondas. And does need to be removed to roll. But I watched the guy do my rear fenders. No cutting, just heating the fender/lip and hammer some and then roll. Really didnt look that hard really. Just take your time.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My friend and his friend were going 50/50 on a roller from tirerack and I told him I need to roll my fenders too so we're splitting the cost 3 ways to get one later this year. I don't feel comfortable using a rubber mallet lol. I'd rather spend some money and do it the right way.

Guess I have to ditch the lining... Damn. My car has had it it's whole life and I have literally zero rust issues at all 4 wheel wells. 1 TINY spot developed in one of them a couple years ago and it hasn't gotten any bigger.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why don't you rent a roller? A LOT of shops rent them out...that's what I did.

Unless you wanna buy your own and charge others to do it. ha

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's what we're doing.

Edit - sorry meant were renting a roller

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Roller is really the only way to go to get a clean job done. Just apply heat and roll small sections as a time until the lip the is all the way in.

We charge $50 a fender and get a few jobs a week on top of other work.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if i could rent a roller thats the best way to go! I just cut mine up with a dremmel tool for the rear. for the front I used a pipe and rolled them up by moving the car back and forth, however those fenders were primered and aftermarket, so i ddint care much about them. if you try to do that with fenders that have paint already they will crack, thats why they get heated first. as far as cutting them out, I sprayed black primer on the inised of the cuts so it wouldnt rust. so far so good.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dude did mine rears for 70 total =) But he used the mallet to help get that rear lip bent back a little to seat the roller on it and roll them back. All of course with using heat, heat, heat! Im sure you can use the roller from the start but the guy that did mine is like our local "go to" guy on fender rolling...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
GAWT DAYUM! ouch
I thought that was about the going price. At least $150-$200 to have all 4 corners rolled. Yeah...definitely not worth it to me if you can just rent a roller and get your deposit back when you return it.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A buddy of mine has his own shop and charges $100 total. LOL Man things are priced a lot differently in different parts of the US.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Holy damn... Prices here vary a lot. One shop will charge nearly $200 to mount and balance while another charges $80. The expensive one is a very reputable shop though and does AMAZING work. They have some of the best equipment and know what they're doing. The cheaper place is a tuner shop but they stand behind their work as well and are active on a local forum. I doubt they'd scam people since they are well known.They have (or maybe used to have) the fastest stock block Evo in the world. www.stmtuned.com

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i need to find someone to do my rears. i dont really feel like cutting it or doing it in general

my fronts are completely flattened with a body hammer, i need to do the phonebook pull though so i stop rubbing when i turn

dorcus

Old f**ker
5+ Year Member
i need to do the phonebook pull
Ok talk about this cause I am interested.

OP: I rolled mine on the coupe with a baseball bat on a summer day with the sun beating down on them and nothing chipped or cracked, but it did push the fender out some unevenly.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on mine, the lip was so close that there wasnt much room to get stuff in. If anything, get some sealer and place a small amount with ur finger to get it water proof.