RPM high but car moves slow

zacki

Respected
Just acquired an EK with automatic transmission, recently experienced that the shifting is not as smooth as before, the thing is, the RPM shoots up when Im on the pedal but the car moves slow, until it reaches a certain RPM (3.5k~5k) and the car moves normally. just change the fluids with Honda brand 2 days ago, but the problem still exist :(

Anyone experience this kind of problem?

Thanks for your help.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like you need a new torque converter

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Does this issue happen when the motor is cold too? Or only when it's reached operating temp. Could be an O2 sensor issue (I had issues very closely related to what you're experiencing)

zacki

Respected
Does this issue happen when the motor is cold too? Or only when it's reached operating temp. Could be an O2 sensor issue (I had issues very closely related to what you're experiencing)
yes it both happen even it is cold or reached operating temp.

by the way, also experiencing vibration when accelarating, varies only when I finally reached the desired gear speed :(

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Torque converter is slipping probably, I don't know much about autos but the tranny puts the power to the ground, if it can't hold onto the engine then it can't transfer the power

jackdog1

Torque converter is slipping probably, I don't know much about autos but the tranny puts the power to the ground, if it can't hold onto the engine then it can't transfer the power
The torque converter actually uses ATF to transfer power to the gears.

A simple fluid change doesn't actually change ALL the fluid in the tranny (only about 2.9L out of ~6L), as some of it stays in the converter. It might fix the problem to get it drained and rebuilt.

How old is the car? Do you know when the last ATF change was before the one you did??

Jnm136

It's your speed sensor I believe, same thing happened to mine. Google it. Costs cheap, check the sensor before u do anything crazy

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You may actually want to pull the trigger on a full system flush on your transmission. A high milage auto tranny drain and refill wont clean out all the trash that accumulates in the system and can clog up the fluid passages in the transmission, valve body and solenoids.

jackdog1

You may actually want to pull the trigger on a full system flush on your transmission. A high milage auto tranny drain and refill wont clean out all the trash that accumulates in the system and can clog up the fluid passages in the transmission, valve body and solenoids.
Doesn't doing a full flush on a really high-mileage transmission increase the likelihood of the transmission failing?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Doesn't doing a full flush on a really high-mileage transmission increase the likelihood of the transmission failing?
Absolutely not, and whoever may have told you that has no idea what they are talking about. What some transmission places may recommend is a high milage additive that contain aliphatic alcohol that causes the rubber seals to swell and reduce leaking.

jackdog1

Absolutely not, and whoever may have told you that has no idea what they are talking about. What some transmission places may recommend is a high milage additive that contain aliphatic alcohol that causes the rubber seals to swell and reduce leaking.
Okay, I'd just seen on another car forum that pressurized flushes can potentially damage a high-mileage tranny. Guess they were wrong.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Okay, I'd just seen on another car forum that pressurized flushes can potentially damage a high-mileage tranny. Guess they were wrong.
The pressure the system will see will never exceed the pressure that the system is normally under during operation. So technically no seal should fail during a flush. If it did then it was prone to happen during normal operation and this is because the owner did not properly maintain the vehicle in the first place.

98% of failures are due to owner negligence not manufactur faults.

zacki

Respected
thanks for all the inputs, I'll consider them one by one, stepping first on the easiest one, I'll just update you once culprit is detected.

zacki

Respected
by the way, solenoid has a leakage, fluids is evident around it, i think need to replace gasket or o-ring, is it somehow related on my case above????

jackdog1

by the way, solenoid has a leakage, fluids is evident around it, i think need to replace gasket or o-ring, is it somehow related on my case above????
No, that's just oil leaking from your VTEC solenoid. Mine does the same with no performance impact. And yeah, there are two gaskets you can replace (top and side).

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Transmission flushes does actually damage the transmission which why a lot of manufactures void warranty when it's performed. Flushes are sometimes performed in a dealership when the transmission cooler in the radiator busted. Also, it worse for a transmission that never had drain and refill done at the correct intervals. Reason being the being the metal debris that builds up will be pushed and can block passages, checks balls, and damage the clutch packs by removing it's material. It would better to drop transmission pan clean it, run new fluid, and run it then repeat it a couple of times but if the transmission was never maintained properly to begin with then the damage is already done.