rpm question

1995hondahatch

5+ Year Member
ok so this may be very basic. i know Hondas have 100 hp, i know at lower rpm they don't have torque, and that you should have more power at higher rpm. but mine, its jumps. its like someone turns the on switch. does fine till 3.9k-4k and then takes off like a rocket. i got a automagic(automatic), i drove my friends other civics and they didn't do it. the only way to describe how it feels as if a turbo kicks in. i mean even in fourth (automatic) the f**ker still hits ~114 no questions asks. i mean i know this sounds fishy but could there be like a chip or somthing making it do that? or is this just normal for a Honda? my motor has 1k miles, je pistons, eagle rods, had the block re-honed . new rings, new head gasket, a gates timing belt, the head inself has been shaved, and ported, and i kept my stock headers, but i took a chopsaw, cut them in half and grinded them out for better flow, (so i could have a sleeper system to speak of) what could this be? i know my power wont jump what seems like double in 100rpm will it? (its just a d15)

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Do you have the JDM D15B or just a regular D15 found in USDM civics?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there is a 1" by 1" flat spot just to the left of the exhaust manifold that will have your engine code stamped on it. check that and tell us what you have. either way it sounds more like your not getting the full power that you should at lower rpms and then once you reach the higher rpm the motor is performing as it should. i would check and make sure your fuel system is working properly. even if you had vtec (which if you have a b7 you dont) you wouldnt be able to notice a difference in power like that. the most you would be able to tell is the sound changes slightly. not to mention vtec kicks in at a higher rpm then that.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pop the hood and tell us if you see a round thing in there with a pipe attached to it...

if so... thats a turbo... incase you didnt know that...

cause it sounds to me like you have a built motor for a turbo... and are not sure if you have a turbo or not...

civico

5+ Year Member
:nopics: post pics of ur engine bay!! let us see wat u got in it so we can c if ur full of b.s...or maybe u just dont have a clue wats going on

1995hondahatch

5+ Year Member
ok i will. im a little depressed, i had a really good cell phone, and i took pictures of the motor all apart. when i was doing the rods and what not, but i didnt email them to myself, i lost my phone in the lake. so i have no internals, i got bills if you guys want to see that. and im only 16. i live in TN my dads in new york, car is north right now. (my dads bad with technology) but ill ask him to send me some pics of the bay. and rest of the car for that matter. i want to see my whip as bad as you guys, i do have a older picture of it tho. no engine pics tho =(

triple_A

5+ Year Member
My civic also does this, it's also a d15b7 and at first I thought it had to be Vtec kicking in or something.
But i was told this is just part of this engine's nature, around 4k rpm it hits it's powerband.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My civic also does this, it's also a d15b7 and at first I thought it had to be Vtec kicking in or something.
But i was told this is just part of this engine's nature, around 4k rpm it hits it's powerband.
:word: That's what my civic does too, doesn't really pull until above 4500 rpms.