Rpms and speed decreasing when in 5th gear

Dirttypretty

Am I missing something here? If the throttle cable were loose, this would happen in every gear, not just 5th.
It usually increases rpms if my foot is coming off the pedal slowly. From 1st to 4th it picks up fair. Just don't feel anything in 5th. Any ideas?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
It usually increases rpms if my foot is coming off the pedal slowly. From 1st to 4th it picks up fair. Just don't feel anything in 5th. Any ideas?
You might not feel anything because 5th gear (being the highest gear) is pretty hard to make it accelerate like lets say 2nd gear. As for what the problem is I'm not too sure myself.

Dirttypretty

You might not feel anything because 5th gear (being the highest gear) is pretty hard to make it accelerate like lets say 2nd gear. As for what the problem is I'm not too sure myself.
ok thanks. If I release the pedal slowly and allow the pedal to get pressure it doesn't take as long for rpms to pick up. I don't have any codes coming up or anything so I'm guessing that's good. Around how many rpms would you be shifting in each gear more or less??

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
ok thanks. If I release the pedal slowly and allow the pedal to get pressure it doesn't take as long for rpms to pick up. I don't have any codes coming up or anything so I'm guessing that's good. Around how many rpms would you be shifting in each gear more or less??
Oh I'm not the best person to ask that since I'm totally a granny shifter lol.. usually before 3-3.5k I shift lolol. Since my car is slow, why would I shift any higher? That's my reasoning anyways.

Dirttypretty

Oh I'm not the best person to ask that since I'm totally a granny shifter lol.. usually before 3-3.5k I shift lolol. Since my car is slow, why would I shift any higher? That's my reasoning anyways.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Everything is stock and all that so I was wondering around how many rpms would be best. I'll usually shift around 2,500-3,000 when I'm on open road or 2,000-2,500 in town.

dancam

Registered VIP
It varies on different cars, i am not familiar with yours. If im just speeding up normally its 20,40,60,80km/hr for the shifts. Thats slightly different rpm's in te different cars i have driven but its a good rule of thumb. If you wanna speed up faster you shift later of course. When cruising through town at no load 60km/hr i put it in 5th. Downshift if i wanna speed up and dont lug the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirttypretty

It varies on different cars, i am not familiar with yours. If im just speeding up normally its 20,40,60,80km/hr for the shifts. Thats slightly different rpm's in te different cars i have driven but its a good rule of thumb. If you wanna speed up faster you shift later of course. When cruising through town at no load 60km/hr i put it in 5th. Downshift if i wanna speed up and dont lug the motor.

The rpms gauge works fine but the speedometer only works sometimes lol so I usually just shift based off of the rpms. My car may be haunted

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
he said it accelerates on lower gears and opposite on 5th
My point is if the throttle cable were loose, it would affect all gears, not just 5th.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
My point is if the throttle cable were loose, it would affect all gears, not just 5th.

Yea but you forget the op does have problem with other gears he stated that in the beginning , everyone seemed to have skipped that part of the description. He having a problem where it slowly accelerate on its own from 1-3 nothing in 4th also 4th is 1:1 ratio and decelerate in 5th, only time your in 5th is on the highway

Last edited:

Dirttypretty

Yea but you forget the op does have problem with other gears he stated that in the beginning , everyone seemed to have skipped that part of the description. He having a problem where it slowly accelerate on its own from 1-3 nothing in 4th also 4th is 1:1 ratio and decelerate in 5th, only time your in 5th is on the highway
Would a leaking fuel injector maybe cause any of this??

Dirttypretty

does your fuel level drop quick in a short drive?
Hmm not necessarily a short drive but I do have to fill up a lot more frequent than when it use to run. I see a little bit of gas by the fuel rail sometimes. Was wondering if that might be the cause. I'm going to check the injectors tomorrow after work.