Rubber grommet wire protector (rear defroster,license plate) EK hatch. leaking !

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
I have a 1996 Civic Hatchback Dx and the rear rubber grommet that protects the wires that goes to the hatch, (rear wipers, defroster and license plate lights) is dried up and warped, and it is letting the rain water in. Cause a small leak down the rear quarter panel.

I called honda and apparently they don't sell those things ... i guess its because it comes with the wire harness ? ... (am i the only one with the problem ?)
I was going to put some silicone RTV stuff but i heard you aren't suppose to use silicone on the body since it has acid and damages metal parts.

I was wondering what where the solutions for this ...
Yeah i know my last resort would be to cut one out from the junkyard, re-wire the wires.

any body have solutions ?

thanks in advance

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Buy the harness and everything. Im sure the wires are worn and could stand to be changed also...

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
Buy the harness and everything. Im sure the wires are worn and could stand to be changed also...
I called my local honda already (seattle) they don't have em here. They also don't have it on MajesticHonda.com

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=1996&catcgry3=3DR+DX&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=TAILGATE+(1)

Someone ever encounter this weird problem? Its leaking because it seems like the part that was on the hatch pulled the grommet wire cover rubber, to the point where it is lifted just a few milometers to let water in.

EKFour

I'm not sure about the grommet, but my hatch leak happened because my tailight gasket was worn. Just a thought =)

Trekk

Registered VIP
You can try to get some body dope and pack it around the area, or even some seam sealer, if you don't want to buy a new harness.