running rich?

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just wanted some opinions, I think I might have it figured out, but someone elses opinion is always nice....

just FYI. swapped a b18c1, running a chipped obd1 ecu (engine is obd2) on my stock CX exhaust, no cat (stock for now)

I'm noticing that im blowing some black smoke, I had my brother drive behind me tonight, and its def black with a little blue when i shift (black as im accelerating and into vtec.) I just looked through some older posts and people were saying blue=oil, black = running rich.

im not so worried about the spits of blue since i would think I am gonna burn SOME oil in higher rpms, right?

as for the black, if that IS running rich, I guess since I have a chipped ecu I could have my air/fuel mix tuned or fixed or whatever needs to be done?

whatcha think?

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well if its at WOT then you just need a tune, but if its at part throttle, then its going to be O2s

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea it is only at WOT, if im driving normal, its fine, just when i stomp on it and get the revs going, then its starts to bellow, haha!

but just for future ref, whats the o2 thing?

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm runnin a bit rich but I say it's better to run rich than lean so I don't worry too much. I'm tunning with a SAFC2 and my fuel is maxed all the way down :lol: still runnin rich tho

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99siTUNER said:
yea it is only at WOT, if im driving normal, its fine, just when i stomp on it and get the revs going, then its starts to bellow, haha!

but just for future ref, whats the o2 thing?
O2 sensor is what your ecu uses at part throttle to tell your AF mix and adjust to stoichiometric

Tek-C

Powered By USAF!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bizoneoeh said:
I'm runnin a bit rich but I say it's better to run rich than lean so I don't worry too much. I'm tunning with a SAFC2 and my fuel is maxed all the way down :lol: still runnin rich tho
yeah, but you don't want to run rich too long, it could cause your piston rings to go out and some other s**t, i thought

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tek-C said:
yeah, but you don't want to run rich too long, it could cause your piston rings to go out and some other s**t, i thought
yeah, I'm not running that rich but I only have a d-series anyway so :D

Deadhead

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
uh... you shouldn't burn any oil enough to put out blue smoke EVER. Your CAT will absorb some of the smoke you put out, but when it's enough to come all the way out the tailpipe, you've got some problems.

Black smoke is bad too... your running pretty damn rich for that to happen. It could be your ECU, but i would also think it might be your timing belt. When did all of this start? Any power differences from normal working condition?

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Deadhead said:
uh... you shouldn't burn any oil enough to put out blue smoke EVER. Your CAT will absorb some of the smoke you put out, but when it's enough to come all the way out the tailpipe, you've got some problems.

Black smoke is bad too... your running pretty damn rich for that to happen. It could be your ECU, but i would also think it might be your timing belt. When did all of this start? Any power differences from normal working condition?

I am running no cat right now, i said that in the first post. and im sure thats a part of the problem. its not like im blowing out enough smoke that i could cloud the car behind me. but it is enough to see. I've had the engine in for about a month, it could have been doing it from the get go I just didnt notice. why timing belt? its a new-er timing belt. everything is as it should be as far as timing.

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well also you have to consider the condition of the engine you swapped in, and of course your gonna have smoke when you dont have a catalytic converter on there, the smoke could be coming from a combination of leaky valvetrain or gaskets ect and if you have no cat. converter where the hell are you mounting the o2 sensors? they look for a certain amount of 02 in the exhaust and if theres too much 02 the pcu thinks you have tons of air and not enough fuel, so it basically dumps insane amounts of fuel to counter-act the high 02 reading it has which would cause tons of smoke coming out the back end, if ya do happen to have the 02 sensors in the right place you might also look for exhaust leaks that are allowing outside air into the exhaust before the 02 sensor.

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got the same problem. I'm running rich, but there's no smoke during normal acceleration or WOT... Just a bunch of black soot around the exhaust on the bumper. I changed the plugs, but it didn't help much and my air/fuel meter acts pretty normal.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
youre not running a cat... of course youre going to have smoke... throw a cat on there and it probably wont smoke at all. your problem is nothing to worry about. but if it does concern you go get your ecu tuned.

btw what basemap are you running on your ecu? hopefully a p72 basemap

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wiggerman, ive got an o2 sensor. my car and ecu is obd1. so i only need the one sensor, and its in my header not the cat.

shiznit. ya of course i got the p72 map, what else would i run?

either way i just wanted to hear some ideas, i wasnt born knowing that no cat is gonna cause smoke! gotta learn somewhere, sorry for not being overly know-it-all. <althought i did THINK no cat most likely was the problem, but part of my troubleshooting before i go and blow money on an exhaust and cat setup, i wanted to reasure myself of what ELSE i might have to check and possibly fix before i add on the extras. whats an exhaust if ur engine runs like s**t?! so either way thanks for the help