Rust On My Car Nooo!!!!!

BRAK54

come getcha some
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
theres 2 little circle rust spots on my driver side dooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr waht should i dooo..???? I have some touch up paint idk tho.. Tell me what I should do

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont cover it up...

Sand it off and then reapply paint.

BRAK54

come getcha some
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nah i dont have the stuff for that man

avenger

loves the clutch
5+ Year Member
BRAK54 said:
nah i dont have the stuff for that man
then get it. its the only way to fix it... painting over rust just seals it in and allows it to continue

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep... car cancer. Covering it up won't make it go away. It will only hide it for so long as it grows.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah if your not going to fix it right, then dont try to fix it at all, if you paint over rust its like, putting a shirt over an arm with a fat cut, just cause you can see it for the time being it will eventually get worse.

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
avenger said:
then get it. its the only way to fix it... painting over rust just seals it in and allows it to continue
yup! i worked with the US Navy for over a year doing paint preservation work on ships ...and that's some serious rust fighting right there. what i learned from that job is that if you have rust, you definitely don't want to just paint over it, the rust will continue to spread and weaken the metal...and just get worse and worse over time...sand over the rust and re-paint, that's the only way to go. if you're scared to do it yourself, then just take it to a good body shop and get the work done by pros. =)

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yep, sand it off (may need a sand blaster depending on how deep it is), use bondo to fill hole, sand down the rest of the door with a scuff pad to take the shine off, paint and clear the whole door. be done with rust

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Slap a jdm sticker over it and and go on about your buisness.. :lol:

Sure it wont fix it but it not going spread the whole door or anything

Those two spots are where the paint chipped from probally a rock or somthing.. The bare metal was exposed so it rusted...

Dont sand it down unless you plan to get it painted soo cause its gonna look awful

manu

5+ Year Member
rust converter

how good are those rust converters you can buy? they go on the rust and convert to a black sandable primer?

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
Slap a jdm sticker over it and and go on about your buisness.. :lol:

Sure it wont fix it but it not going spread the whole door or anything

Those two spots are where the paint chipped from probally a rock or somthing.. The bare metal was exposed so it rusted...

Dont sand it down unless you plan to get it painted soo cause its gonna look awful
yeah, that will work great to hold the moisture in so that it can spread even faster. just have it fixed right and be done with it once and for all. take it to a shop, if it's just a couple spots it should not cost too much

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chunky said:
yeah, that will work great to hold the moisture in so that it can spread even faster. just have it fixed right and be done with it once and for all. take it to a shop, if it's just a couple spots it should not cost too much
iono man.... the obvious answer is have it painted...

if you sand it you gotta paint the whole door... thats a big hassle imo for two rust spots unless you got $$$

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
iono man.... the obvious answer is have it painted...

if you sand it you gotta paint the whole door... thats a big hassle imo for two rust spots unless you got $$$
not necessarily, if you find a talented painter he can blend the paint and would only have to clear the whole door.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OMG.... :scurred:

I'm sure two small spots on the door can wait. DON'T slap stickers over it or touch up paint. No need to try to make it worse or forget about it. But it doesn't sound like you have to take care of it right now.

Price out how much repairing the rust will cost you and then price out how much a salvage door might cost you (plus paint and without). If you're lucky you might find a door the dolor of your car for a decent price. Remember that if you just find a door of "the same" color and slap it on yor car there's a chance it will not be exactly the same tint/shade though.