Salvave title questions

xowiickedox

5+ Year Member
Ok i sold my 95 coupe and have really been looking for a 99-00 civic si but a of them are stating salvaged due to theft . So my question is what would cause them to be salvaved from theft ( i just want more knowledge so if i did purchase one i can tell if the seller is tryin to hide somethjng bigger ) also what are ways to deter thease huge si thefts ?

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it gets fully stripped during a theft, its salvage, doesnt have to get frame damage, just enough s**t taken that insurance doesnt want to pay to replace. like if an older car were to be stolen and have hood, bumpers, fenders, interior, motor all taken out, insurance will call it a total loss, write a check and now its a salvage title. i believe it works something like that. Similar to how insurance would judge a cars dmg cost vs worth of the car when you get into an accident.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Salvage title just means that insurance is not willing to pay that much money out in order to repair or replace the damaged or stolen parts.

This can be very easy to do on an older car as the value of the car to begin with drops.

So a CRX could potentially be deemed salvage if it needs a fender, bumper and hood replaced after a truck backs into the car. A new CRZ would be fixed easily by insurance instead.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My old Si was a theft recovery in CA when I bought it leaving the title "Salvage." I was in the military at the time and then brought the car back east, titling it in OH. They actaully cleared the salvage title with my CHP and VA State Police paper work (VA because I was stationed there). And when I had to transfer it to VA it was clean as well...well until it got robbed again and left for dead...lol. Poor car was a theft salvage in CA and VA...I put it out of its pain and took it to a crusher...