Sand blasting block/parts??

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
I have a full d16 and a full d15 then i have a d16A1 DOHC. I want to clean them up. I really like the way sand blasting looks. I have a friend who has an enclosed sandblaster, but im at a complete loss about what sand to loose. Ive also never sandblasted before, and google is cluttered with to much b.s. making it hard for me to find a good "how to" for alluminum heads/blocks and exactly what i need to cover and what to cover it with. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i didnt know where else to put it.

killercrx91

5+ Year Member
I have a full d16 and a full d15 then i have a d16A1 DOHC. I want to clean them up. I really like the way sand blasting looks. I have a friend who has an enclosed sandblaster, but im at a complete loss about what sand to loose. Ive also never sandblasted before, and google is cluttered with to much b.s. making it hard for me to find a good "how to" for alluminum heads/blocks and exactly what i need to cover and what to cover it with. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i didnt know where else to put it.
I this whated to say I don't think you can sandblast engine parts.

bru73

5+ Year Member
sandblasting

you can blast engine parts but u have to use the propper blastimg meda not sand

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
ok i do not know about media... what would you recomend? i heard glass bead works good. What about dipping it? I jest want it so i can paint it. Want it looking new.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Walnut shell media works well without being destructive

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Might want to look into soda blasting

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I suggest a heavy duty degreaser and a pressure washer for the block and head....getting sand out of oil and coolant galleries is a real b***h and still leaves a chance of residue.

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
ok. I think ill jest spray the block. I blasted the valve cover... came out good. om not sure what sand it was, but it came out good. i was going to do the head block and valve cover.... but it sounds like alot of trouble. Degreaser sound like a good way to go lol

SwiftEKtuner

EJ6 Powderpuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
post pics i wanna see what it looks like...never seen sand blasted engine parts b4 lol

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
lol ok ill try to get those up. i blasted it then went over it with 400 and 300 grit. came out great