Scared - just bought car with 330K! - am I crazy?

Should I sell this Honda ASAP?

• How to tell if Honda Civic has new engine?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opinons on High-mileage Hondas?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

whizkid

I'm getting scared ...What have I done? I was looking for a used Honda Civic for so-oooo long (first time Honda owner) that I could barely stand it ... and I did not have that much money to spend. Two days ago someone advertised a 1999 Honda Civic LS for only $2200 with 187000 miles. I drove two hours one way just to see it. (I had looked at a lot of Hondas in the past four weeks.) I decided I would almost buy anything at this point as I'd seen some very old rust-buckets.
This one looked especially beautiful; good body, shiny robin blue color, very clean interior, nice cold air conditioning, looked great and ran perfect. However, I noticed the odometer reading did not say 187K, but rather 330,000! The owner was a young kid who only had it 6 months and was (I believe) honest, but the owner before him said the engine was rebuilt and the actual (engine) mileage is 187 miles (no papers to prove it).
On impulse I bought it. I've had it for exactly two days. Now the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" engine light is on (at first intermittedly, but now constantly) and the AutoZone fellow said the code is PO741 "air sensor."
Today, I checked the oil and (if I'm reading it properly) it's already about 3 quarters low and the transmission fluid looks more red-brownish than red.
Should I sell this car ASAP and get another Honda Civic (and will I get any money at all for this high mileage car???) ... Or, should I give it a chance? I don't have much money right now to spend on lots of repairs.
It is still running absolutely perfect (except for the Malfunction Indicator Lamp light and a possible oil problem - although there are no leaks, no burning smells, and nothing blows out of exhaust pipe. The front right of car does make loud sounds over bumps on road, other wise a very smooth, easy, and rather luxurious ride. Car "acts happy" is very peppy, very strong, and gets such amazing gas mileage, too! In fact, it used hardly any gas on the long drive home (I thought the gas gage HAD to be broken (it's not).
Any advice from anyone out there? Thanks

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just buy a new sohc motor, -shrug they are pretty cheap man

JWoo

Doesnt sound too bad!

All air sensors will evenutally wear out and new ones arent too expensive. When you do get a new air sensor, the car will get better mileage and more power as well as the air/fuel mixture will be proper.

Change the transmission fluid and you should be fine, its probably just old which is why its discoloured.

Top up the oil and keep an eye on the level. There are a few products out there that will help stop oil burning if the problem is not too bad. Engine Restore is one of them. www.restoreusa.com

Also check the PCV valve, that can make the car burn oil if its not working properly and they're like $5 for a new one

hope this helps more than "buy a new engine"

James315

^ This air sensors wear out and are relativily cheap and easy to replace and i think the engine only holds like 3 1/2 4 quarts for it to as low as your saying it pretty much wouldnt read anythingon the dip stick and the high mileage i wouldnt worry about its a honda they go forever just do all the neccesary maintence and you will have a happy car.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Doesnt sound too bad!

All air sensors will evenutally wear out and new ones arent too expensive. When you do get a new air sensor, the car will get better mileage and more power as well as the air/fuel mixture will be proper.

Change the transmission fluid and you should be fine, its probably just old which is why its discoloured.

Top up the oil and keep an eye on the level. There are a few products out there that will help stop oil burning if the problem is not too bad. Engine Restore is one of them. www.restoreusa.com

Also check the PCV valve, that can make the car burn oil if its not working properly and they're like $5 for a new one

hope this helps more than "buy a new engine"
sure , you can go and buy all these parts but that just lshots in the dark and a waste of money on a motor with over 300k plus miles, he isnt gonna gain any hp that motor is weak after that many miles so if he is that worried about the high miles, like i said , replace the motor,so you have a piece of mind. no reason to mock me there guy. i know what the hell im talking about. ;)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would put a new engine in it and replace all bushings and drive it til the wheels fall off...

whizkid

Thanks Everyone - You helped me a lot!

:DI want to thank each and every one of you for your thoughtful help and (especially) the moral support! I thought I'd be horribly chastized for buying such a high-mileage vehicle, and instead, every one of you gave such great advice. Thanks, thanks, thanks! This is a very caring forum! Good news today is I rechecked the oil and re-read the owner's manual; I was actually reading the dip-stick wrong (I think)! (It looked different than dip-sticks in cars I've had before, which tend to have a longer range showing the oil line). So, I don't believe this car is leaking or burning any oil. What a relief. Maybe it really does have a rebuilt engine after all! And the transmission oil is probably browninsh (as one of you mentioned) because it probably was not drained recently. I've heard conflicting views on flushing old transmissions, though ... I've heard some people who claim it's better to just leave them alone in old cars and others who say the contrary. Confusing .... As far as putting in a new engine, I'm a gal and not a guy, and do not know how to do that. However, I will talk to my mechanic and see how much he'd charge to do that. It would be better for the resale value someday. Thanks again so-oooo much, I feel a lot better now ... And the car still runs beautifully!

gooddog

Rally X
I don't think you need a new engine. If it sounds healthy and runs well then you should be just fine. Good buy.

Also congrats on getting a Honda!

etch-a-sketchy

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its a honda. It will run forever with proper maintenance!

baytownhatch

Mine is an 89 hatch with 350k I get 42 miles to the gallon it doesn't burn oil it doesn't knock it runs like it should if your not wanting to tune it then just take care of it do the proper maintenance on it and your fine don't buy an engine and swap it if your not planning on tuning it if you are by all means by one and do like memory said drive it til the wheels fall off

JeffBel

Registered VIP
I wouldn't recommend seafoam, not from personal experience but I've heard BAD BAD stories. I'm not one to find out for myself. I would strongly recommend Lucas Oil products; and again it's a Honda, not a VW ;)