scary noises from front left wheel

Ice Cream Kid

Hey guys, I really need some help here. I replaced my front right wheel bearing last sunday-monday and I did my front brake pads and rotors at the same time because they were really bad. This sunday I drove like 200 miles and now there's something screwy going on. I don't know if it was there before the drive or not, but all of a sudden my car started making a weird thumping noise. It was only there upwards of about 30mph, but now it's there as low as 15mph. I tried switching the front tires to no avail, since I figured it could've been a tire balance thing. I also tried spinning the wheels while it was in the air but it wouldn't make any noises. I'm running out of ideas here and could really use some help. Thanks.

I forgot to mention it, but the sound disappears entirely when you turn the wheel left a little, and it gets reeeaallyy quiet when you turn right.

I made a video ._.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenneth

5+ Year Member
Maybe your car is reminding you, that wheel bearings need to be replaced in pairs. So after replacing the right side, now do the left. Then you can tell us what went bad.

Ice Cream Kid

That seems to be my plan. I'll report back in a few days, it doesn't look like this will be done until sunday. Hopefully the civic holds out :/

Kenneth

5+ Year Member
Did you look at the drive axle? Maybe the boot has a tear that's thumping around.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it's more of a clicking sound it could be the CV joint. Like Kenneth said, check the boots for tears.