ScratchNSniff's Protege5 Progress Thread...Lots of Pics...

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well...this is a long time coming as I just haven't had the patience to sit down and get this whole thing together and figured out...luckily I have taken a lot of pictures along the way and can somewhat remember what has been done...

I picked up this car in February of 2008 and have been slowly doing work to it...

Hopefully you guys will enjoy looking this over and it will give me a place to go back and update...

Current Mod List

Performance Mods:
Speed3 Custom Exhaust
Injen CAI
Mazdaspeed Protege Front Brake Upgrade
Tein S-Tech Springs
Mazdaspeed Rear Sway Bar
Altered Customs Air Diverter Plate
GT Spec Ladder Bar
GT Spec Front Lower Tie Bar
GT Spec Trunk Cage
Corksport Bronzoil Bushings

Exterior Mods:
Black-Out Tails
Black-Out Turn Signals
Black-Out Side Markers
Black-Out Headlights
Black-Out Emblems
Blacked-Out Rear Valance
Blacked-Out Keyhole Surround
Rear Wiper Delete
Tribute Washer Nozzles
Speed3 Rims w/ Pirelle P-Zero Nero Tires
1989 16" Ronal R9's w/BF Goodrich G-Forces
Carolinamazdas.com Decal
DG CF Mirror Covers
S2000 Antenna
323F Badge
DG CF AutoEx Replica Grill
Familia Badge

Interior Mods:
08 Mazdaspeed3 GT Seats (Front/Rear)
Broadway 290mm Rearview Mirror
Speed3 Dead Pedal
JDM Leather Center Armrest
EDM Single DIN Clock/Cubby
DaveB Guage Rings
Blacked Out Pillars
Blacked Out Headliner
B&M Short Shifter
MOMO E-Brake Boot
MOMO E-Brake Handle
MSP 3.5 Pedals
02 P5 Cupholders
AutoEx CF Shift Knob

Stereo Mods:
Pioneer Premier CD Player
Pioneer 6" GPS/Backup Camera Display
JL Audio Rears
Focal 6v2s Components Front
Alpine PDX-5
Optima Red Top
DIYMA 12" in Custom Box
Custom Built False Floor to interchage audio/trunck cage

Few days after I got it...

First photoshoot a few days later...

First MOD...Blacked out Rear Valence...

Second MOD...No Smoking...

Decided to get rid of the stock CD Player...

Few more pics with a friend...

Decided to start blacking out...did the tails/side marker lights/fogs/emblems...also went with 5% tint on the windows and 30% on the front...

Decided to pick up some audio and decided to go with the JL10W7 along with a Kicker ZX1000.1...also had the Boston Acoustic Components hooked up to a Kicker ZX650.4 amp...

Got tired of the radio pocket so decided to go with the Mazda block off plate...

Decided to pick up a Racing Beat exhaust/MSP Engine Cover/Injen CAI...

Went with an S2000 antenna/Mazda3 5-Spokes/Blacked out headlights/DG CF Mirror Covers/Foglight Deletes/Tribute Nozzles...

Picked up a DG Interior Package along with Momo E-Brake Handle/Boot...B&M Short Shifter/Corksport Bronzoil Bushings/Mazdaspeed Protege Shift Boot/Knob/Dave B Guage Rings..

Got a new dog (that rides in the car) so decided quickly after I got it to sell most of the DG CF pieces...replaced with a set of Mazdaspeed3 cloth seats I picked up from Rogue...

Picked up a GT Spec trunck cage along with the ladder bar and lower tie bar...also got a MSP rear sway bar and Kenwood DDX7015 headunit...

Got a lead on a set of Speed3 leathers, so I decided to replace the cloth ones...not only that, but I got the rears with it as well...also decided that the Audio Setup was just to much bass for me and took it out...picked up a Double-Decker leather armrest and EDM Single DIN slot...got rid of the Kenwood as well and installed another Pioneer headunit and Pioneer GPS...

Dropped the car on Tein S-Techs and had the Mazda3 rims powdercoated black...

Wrecked the car and blew the motor...we won't get into the problems with the motor I got as a replacement though, but needless to say the car isn't running still...I did however get a Fidanza Flywheel, port/polish the intake manifold, remove butterflies, got a Spooled Up Racing Header, powdercoated Valve Cover, ARP head studs...

Decided that I needed to upgrade the brakes, so went with the MSP brake upgrade, Speed3 rims with 215/35/18 Pirelli P-Zero Neros, Speed3 exhaust, rear wiper delete, DG CF AutoEx replica grill...and installed the new system consisting of an Alpine PDX-5, DIYMA 12" sub, Focal 6v2s Components...also picked up a 3.5 MSP front lip (Not Installed Yet)...

I did have the car running for like 4 days and made it to one day of EECMM before snapping a camshaft in half, so here are a few pics of how it sits right now...

Thanks to all for looking and I will do my best to update this thread as everything goes along...if you have any questions/comments feel free to post...hope you guys like what I have done to the car...

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sweet wagon

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sick ride. The wheels look perfect like it was meant to be on the car.

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i've always liked the aesthetics of these. keep the good work up

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sweet wagon
Thanks...

Mazda speed wheels :thumbup:
Thanks...

Sick ride. The wheels look perfect like it was meant to be on the car.
My thought exactly...I like them sooo much better than the Mazda3 rims I had on here before...

shaggin wagon =)
Lol...

i've always liked the aesthetics of these. keep the good work up
Thanks man...I try to do my best on it...

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
looks pretty good man, the speed3 rims are sick...don't paint these. The painted tails look a bit cheap.

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks pretty good man, the speed3 rims are sick...don't paint these. The painted tails look a bit cheap.
Thanks...Everyone is trying to get me to go gloss black on the rims, but I don't want to...As for the tails...it was honestly the only way that I could figure out how to do a flat black look as the overlays were all in a high gloss that I had found...

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So...finally got the new motor in the car...3rd one now...seems to be running great now...I have put about 400 miles on it in the last two days...as soon as I get the camera again I will update the first post with the new pics...

I installed the Hella Supertone horns today and my JDP CF front splitter came in...now it is time to get the MSP 3.5 lip painted...also thinking of picking up a set of JDM tails...

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks good man but not feeling the black out tails though

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks good man but not feeling the black out tails though
Me neither...lol...they are actually getting shipped off as soon as the guy I am trading with receives his money order...JDM tails on the way...

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Still waiting on tailights to come in, but did get a few new pics of the car in the mountains the other day and wanted to share...

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's come a long way, looks good but not feeling the grill and tails. Tails would look better if tint was polished and cleared.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
x2 on not feeling the grill and tails.

paint match the grill, and those jdm tails will look sick.

really diggin the newest wheels :thumbup:

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's come a long way, looks good but not feeling the grill and tails. Tails would look better if tint was polished and cleared.
Thanks man...the grill will be painted, but not sure if it will be black yet or yellow...depends on how my MSP 2003.5 front lip comes out from my painter...if the match is not as close as I am hoping, then I will do it black along with the roof/center section of the hood so that it flows all the way up...I think it would look good that way...not sure though yet...

As for the tails they are in the mail...I got to worried about the tint on them, so decided to swap with someone...

x2 on not feeling the grill and tails.

paint match the grill, and those jdm tails will look sick.

really diggin the newest wheels :thumbup:
Thanks...like I said...grill is in debate...as for the tails...they should be here on Friday, so hopefully new pics will not be to far behind...

nice build! looks flush with the new wheels.
Thanks for the compliment...

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The JDM tails look much better, and I would hate to see you kill the flow of the car with a black roof.

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your new avatar makes me laugh.
Lol...I guess that is a good thing...

The JDM tails look much better, and I would hate to see you kill the flow of the car with a black roof.
I still haven't decided on it yet, but it is definitely something I have considered...anyways...pics of the new tail lights on the car...opinions anyone...