Screeching/Sraping Sound When Starting Car

Shred

5+ Year Member
About a month ago the Civic would 'click' when I tried to start it. I would try restarting it a few times with eventual success, but the problem seemed to worsen as time went on. This morning I was about to drive it to Houston and sell it to my uncle but, alas, it wouldn't start at all. Just 'click, click, click'. I cleaned the battery terminals/posts and used a multimeter to test the voltage on the positive wire going to the starter, and all appeared fine. So I replaced the starter ($80 at O'Reilly's) and the car started immediately. Unfortunately, now when I turn the key and start the car, there comes a scraping/screeching sound from the starter, as if I'm holding the key in the engine ignition position too long. If I let go of the key really fast the sound doesn't last as long, but I can't start the car without making the sound for at least half a second. What's up with this?

Also, the CD player was working one night when I parked the car, then the next morning had no power. I am still trying to figure this one out. Perhaps a ground wire has become detached somewhere?

Any help is appreciated!

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
if its a 5 speed just push start it and take it down and get rid of it lol

Shred

5+ Year Member
if its a 5 speed just push start it and take it down and get rid of it lol
If I wasn't selling it to my uncle and niece I might do that, lol. Unfortunately if I don't fix it now I know I'll just end up having to go back over there eventually and fix it for them anyways :???:

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the new starter is bad, take it back and get anothere one.it sucks to get a bad new part.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup, sounds like you still have a bad starter.

Shred

5+ Year Member
cool that's what I was hoping. i'll exchange it and see how it goes.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah starter problem man

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
or possibly the starter was tightened down to much? i know when i tightened mine down one time too far on one side it wouldnt crank all the time, stumped me forever until i tried that

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you do end up returning it, let one of them look at it first, for some reason a referb ends up on the new shelf and gets sold by mistake. happened to me with a alt. that thing was squealing so i returned it. the guy said oh well this is a referb you bought a new one. oops. i would have never know because the thing looked brand new. i guess they are marked or something.

Shred

5+ Year Member
Thanks to those who helped me out with this. When I returned the starter to O'Rielly's the kid hooked it up to a testing machine (basically just put a charge to it) and it started, so he was like, "well, the machine says PASS." I told him there was def something wrong with it and they gave me a new one, which worked fine. The radio also started working again =)

Here's some pictures for anyone who's changing their first starter (like me).