Seeking advice on buying a cat converter

H-man

I have a '94 Civic and I need to replace the catalytic converter. I really don't want to drop $516 on a new Honda part, so I'm hoping to get by with an aftermarket part. I don't think l'll have the car for more than 12-18 months. So my question is two-part:

1) Are there any manufacturers that produce a quality CC? By quality I mean one that will give me a year or more of service and won't make my car sound ridiculous.

2) Are there any that I can easily install myself without having to take it somewhere to have welding done.

Thanks in advance.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
First off are you in place that requires you to pass emotions?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
How I miss Florida..... Just have an exhaust shop weld on a straight pipe. Most shops will do it for less then $100. This is properly your cheapest rout.

You can also goto the junk yard and pull a used one that you can bolt right on but it's a 50-50 chance the part will be good.

You can also get a test pipe.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
run an ebay test pipe or get an exhaust shop to weld a pipe there is what i would do it will be cheaper or at least the same price as getting a used cat and like already said above theres a chance it wont work.

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
1) Are there any manufacturers that produce a quality CC? By quality I mean one that will give me a year or more of service and won't make my car sound ridiculous.

2) Are there any that I can easily install myself without having to take it somewhere to have welding done.
1. My favorite brand for catalyc converters is Magnaflow. I bought a universal CC for less than $100 shipped. I think they even make hi flow CC.
2. But yes it would be fine to just get a straight pipe like others mentioned, cheapest way, and if anything you can just buy a resonator to quiet it down a bit.

H-man

I think there are pieces internally in the CC that have broken off and are rattling around. Is there anyway to just fix the thing instead? (i.e. remove the broken pieces, etc.)? The shields appear to be stable, so it's not them.

Also, is there any chance that putting a straight pipe on would cause other issues?

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
You can take the cat off n gut it.

No running a straight pipe will not cause problems

H-man

1. My favorite brand for catalyc converters is Magnaflow. I bought a universal CC for less than $100 shipped. I think they even make hi flow CC.
Did you have to do any welding or was it easy to install yourself? What generation civic did you put it on?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Depend on the year civic it might get a Cel by removing the cat. It also might lower mpg to

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
Did you have to do any welding or was it easy to install yourself? What generation civic did you put it on?
Yes i did since it was a universal fit. For them to install my whole catback system, weld on a cc AND resonator it costed me $200 in labor.