Seeking technical electronics help: re-hooking up remote unlocking/locking system

Alpha.kx

5+ Year Member
Seeking some technical help on my 96 EK

When I bought my 96 EK, the keyless entry system used to unlock/lock the doors did not work. The reason for this is that when the previous owner installed her CD deck, she had the installers unhook/disconnect the system.

I really do not know the details on how the remote system works, but I'd love to get mine working again. I DO have the keyfabs.

This weekend I'll be hooking up a new amp and sub. While I'm working on the car, I'd like to get the remote system working again.

If anyone could please point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I've searched in vain for DIY guides.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im assuming you discovered this by now...

but in a 1996 civic the keyless is actually powered through the factory radio.

If the factory radio is gone, so is your keyless entry.

They make a special harness for installing an aftermarket radio, while hiding the factory radio behind the dash still powered to allow the keyless retention.

Unfortunately it sounds like they just took out the factory radio and didnt retain your keyless. :(

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yep. youre gonna need a stock radio from a civic that also had keyless entry.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah dude all 96-98 EX models KE are controlled by the factory radio. i work at best buy in the install bay. if you need me to make you a harness for you to keep your factory radio + an aftermarket one, let me know.