seems like this forum died?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like someone said , it's all been done and said . Older members have answered the same f**king questions 100000 times and it gets old . "What exhaust should I put in muh carz" "will dat motor fit in muh ryde" Etc etc . And it seems like all the people that actually built cars and didn't just throw them together have moved on. At some point you outgrow a civic and want something nicer than a cracker box economy car and it comes to the point when you realize your throwing money into something that will never return anything close to what you paid .

greddy1387

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree Facebook and instagram killed the forum life

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ppl get older, buy new cars, join new forums. it's as simple as that
also, since the newer civics are ass ugly and simply blow, no one wants them

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll admit I've spent more time on gun forums lately.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It was easier when I was in my teens and twenties to get on car forums and spend too much time online. Now I have a wife, daughter, house, pool that all require constant attention... plus I work on cars full time now... it's rare I come home in the mood to get on a forum and talk about car stuff.
I still make it back on here once a week or so, but I spend much more time posting on Google+ than anything else now.... mostly because my pictures can go instantly from my phone (which is the best camera I own) to online without bothering to edit or upload elsewhere and then try to post. I hate and shun facebook, and I've never used instagram.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ppl get older, buy new cars, join new forums. it's as simple as that
also, since the newer civics are ass ugly and simply blow, no one wants them
^This. Not to mention the declining aftermarket support, or the crappy economy that is reducing the amount of free income to spend on our cars.

Undesirable cars + lack of things to do to those cars + lack of money to do anything with = No reason to post on a forum about the car.

Civics are just having a hard time staying afloat, and the older ones with great aftermarket support are finally starting to break down (Read: 6th and 5th gens).

The people who stick around the forum tend to stay for the community, not civic tech. Unfortunately, nobody joins a civic forum for community, and every question that could be asked has been asked on this forum. A quick search reveals the answer. Done.

RonJ

Banned
The people who stick around the forum tend to stay for the community, not civic tech
every question that could be asked has been asked on this forum. A quick search reveals the answer. Done.
^This is why CC is dead. Members in the leadership role have little or no clue about Honda tech.

In general, tech doesn't work in the overly simplistic way you have portrayed. From your naive point of view, there's a single solution for each car problem. In reality, there are multiple possible solutions and to find the right one, you need to troubleshoot. With few exceptions, nobody here teaches logical troubleshooting. The main blame for this dying forum points directly at the poor shortsighted and neglected leadership at this site. Done.

The life blood of a car forum is tech. Period.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ron, dude you mostly quote out of online tech manuals. Either directly, by linking, or by copy/pasting an IMG from one. Everything that you post from is easily obtained by a simple google search. I have seen very few tech threads that have been posted since I joined this site that couldn't have been solved by using an online manual to troubleshoot and solve with the exception of some of the ones about forced induction or maybe swaps. Both of which have tons of how to articles and write ups that are just a search away as well.

Staff has nothing to do with the fact that forums are a dying medium. They are going away just as fast as printed newspapers and magazines are. It's a part of the growth of the internet and the fact that EVERYTHING is already out there and is just a search away. Once people figure out that they can just use a search engine to find this knowledge that is already available, they will stop joining to ask.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^This is why CC is dead. Members in the leadership role have little or no clue about Honda tech.

In general, tech doesn't work in the overly simplistic way you have portrayed. From your naive point of view, there's a single solution for each car problem. In reality, there are multiple possible solutions and to find the right one, you need to troubleshoot. With few exceptions, nobody here teaches logical troubleshooting. The main blame for this dying forum points directly at the poor shortsighted and neglected leadership at this site. Done.

The life blood of a car forum is tech. Period.
You can continue to hold a grudge from years ago, when you were on the staff, or you can move on from it and become an adult. Either way, I don't intend to argue with you regarding my naivety. If I am naive, I will be too naive to understand the illogical basis of my position. If I am not, I have no reason to force your beliefs toward the truth.

I will comment on the facts:

-When it comes to the questions on here, there typically is one right solution, or one right set of guiding advice. You follow a particular set of steps to install or replace a specific part, or perform other maintenance. A part is either failing, not failing, or on its way out. You buy a catback for performance, but a tip for sound. The CAI you put on your civic is only gong to yield a few whp. When you buy suspension components, you need to make decisions on stance, feel and performance goals. etc.

-Take a look at other car forums. Many of them are not doing well. Some may be doing a little better than us, but consider their audience in comparison to ours. Are they referencing a sole model? Honda Tech references the entire Honda line. If so, has that model been pushing out less and less desirable vehicles over the past 14 years? 7th gen was the start of a downhill spiral for moddable civics, although I love mine. A very sharp downward trend began with the introduction of the 8th gen.

-You were unable to provide the necessary leadership that you believe is needed and expect others to provide. You quit the mod staff twice because you were unable to contribute your opinion without being able to handle the presence of counter-opinions. I backed you all throughout both mod terms. I don't know how you can so sharply criticize others for something you were unable to contribute, yourself.

You're a fantastic member, with a wealth of knowledge, but your leadership ability has been tested, and has come up short.

RonJ

Banned
Lethal - Again, based on Joe's and your comments, CC's fate is set in stone. I agree. It's too late to salvage.

Joe - You're also a fantastic member and also a really nice guy. However, it's most comfortable for you to conclude that the decline of CC was inevitable due to forces out of your control. You are and have been at the helm during the greatest decline in CC. So, whose leadership was tested and fell short? And here's just one example showing that CC is crumbling from neglect:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/clubcivi/public_html/board/shoutbox/shoutshow.php on line 9

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have never been at the helm. Blue or not, we are all equals on the staff. The only difference is that I can modify posts in more sections than the other mods. Yes, I have been a mod longer than any other member, but I have no power to approve or deny the will of other mods. Even so, the mod staff has taken input from non-mod members, quite publicly. We have implemented an array of new features and policies, none of which have had an effect. As always, if you have a way to boost activity (that we can actually enact), let us know and we'll get moving if it is feasible and other members seem to be behind it.

As I'm sure you remember, site modifications are also beyond our control. There is nothing the mod staff can do to fix that error.

As far as being a mod (not a leader) in the greatest time of decline in CC, I was also a mod during the greatest time of prosperity on the site. I've been a mod for nearly the entire lifespan of CC (minus 2 or 3 years). I've been a mod since 2004. I'm not claiming I'm the reason behind the prosperity, just as I am not claiming I am the reason behind the decline. However, it would be very convenient to say that I was the reason behind the site's success when the site was highly successful, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
I have no power to approve or deny the will of other mods...site modifications are also beyond our control. There is nothing the mod staff can do to fix that error.
This^ is in itself a major problem. Somebody must be in charge. When I mention leadership, I of course also include Justin. Without somebody in charge, good ideas will often fail to get implemented.

As always, if you have a way to boost activity (that we can actually enact), let us know and we'll get moving if it is feasible and other members seem to be behind it.
I've stated it in the past many times. Whether you like it or not, the main source of new membership for car forums is tech. There are many people on the internet with tech questions, so a paucity of potential new members is not the problem. Your attitude about tech and that of your like-minded moderators (see posts above) kill the source of new membership, which is the life blood of a car forum. You have also failed to recruit and keep new staff who understand tech or its importance. Instead, CC staff are composed nearly entirely of Off Topic forum posters, who lack either tech knowledge or the interest to participate in tech forums. CC needs at least an equal number of bona fide tech moderators as it does Off Topic moderators. The problem is that this recruitment effort should have been a constant high priority at CC long ago. It is probably too late now, especially when you consider that the current staff see Google as a better option for tech answers. CC staff fail to recognize that there's a gap that Google cannot fill but forums can - the need for people to ask specific questions and get answers.

it would be very convenient to say that I was the reason behind the site's success when the site was highly successful, wouldn't it?
Taking credit for site successes would dictate the need also to take blame for site failures, so the reason for your avoidance of taking credit is obvious.

Kenneth

5+ Year Member
Don't know if it'll help, but I have a suggestion. Possibly beef up the DIY section. Other forums I've been a member on, have extensive archives on how to. It seems that a lot of questions I see here, are basic maintenance, cleaning IACV n such. Giving members more ability, and being a valuable resource ought to help revive the site,somewhat. Can't hurt at any rate. The way I see it there's lots of new members that have questions, that other members are reluctant to answer for whatever reason, telling them to instead, use the search. I think after this experience, they just keep moving. I think this would give these people a reason to stay. As an example, the Ford ranger forum, has a couple hundred DIY offerings. If you can dream it, it's there. Just my .02¢