@ Sensor Fubar's

GreenMachine01

5+ Year Member
Guys. I need some info and maybe some help on some sensor issues. Heres what I got going on:

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent Interruption

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor A (Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor) Intermittent Interruption

If someone could tell me where the hell these are and if I can clean them to make them stop making my car FUBAR I would be mas appreciative.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check the wireing. They are all probably in the same harness(connector). Do any work in the engine compartment lately?

GreenMachine01

5+ Year Member
Nope Pon, I don't touch the little bastard. The more Ive been reading on this site under the different posts, the more I am not liking the idea of doing any work on it myself.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Then check the fuses and connections for corrision or dirt. Also try resetting the ecu(fuse-out or battery disconnected for like 5 minutes).

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
me no understand, me no want sensor problems; is there a difference between codes of 01-03 models oppoesed to 04-05 em and es>?

TEAM OCELOT

GreenMachine01

5+ Year Member
IDK if there would be a difference. Probably since the ECU's might be different with the year variance and the engine difference. One of the wizards could probably clarify

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
DTC's Vary by Brand in some cases. Most DTC's are generaly the same. Although some may be different. Using the internet, you'll be able to find most of the Codes. In most cases, you'll be able to find the definition of the code, but not "why it's on".

In GreenMachine01's case:
The P0336 is "CKP Sensor Intermittent Interruption "
The P1361 is "TDC Sensor Intermittent Interruption "

The definition of the code doesn't mean that both sensors are "bad". But with the proper diagnostic, he'll be able to find out what is causing the light. Also, one sensor could lead to a fault in another sensor. Think of it like a rope with two slip knots in it. The knots representing the sensors. If you pull hard enough, and "break" one of the knots, the other is still there. The second knot is now taking on more than it was set in place for. So... Knot 1, is bad, and knot two is "setting a code" to show that there is a problem there as well.

I hope you can understand that. It's the only way I could come up with to explane it, on such short notice.

=)

GreenMachine01

5+ Year Member
Naw man I get wht you are saying. Im pretty good with both cars and computers. It's just getting to the point where they are becoming too advanced for me to work on. WTH happened to the good old days of carbs?

GreenMachine01

5+ Year Member
Hey Pon and 02. I just went outside and looked around under the hood. Couldnt find anyhting that looked bad, or wires stretched or burned, unplugged and plugged back the sensor closest to the harmonic balancer then cranked it up. The cel was on so I shut it to position 1 and played with the radio a bit. Then I cranked it up and cel is gone again. The worst problem in electronics is an intermittent problem. that said, its going to a shop next tuesday. Thanks for all the help with the pics 02.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GreenMachine01 said:
Hey Pon and 02. I just went outside and looked around under the hood. Couldnt find anyhting that looked bad, or wires stretched or burned, unplugged and plugged back the sensor closest to the harmonic balancer then cranked it up. The cel was on so I shut it to position 1 and played with the radio a bit. Then I cranked it up and cel is gone again. The worst problem in electronics is an intermittent problem. that said, its going to a shop next tuesday. Thanks for all the help with the pics 02.
As use old mechanics say "you can't fix what aint broken" lol
If it doesn't throw a cel ,don't take it in.
You may have "cleaned" the contact when you took it off and on.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
Sounds good for now, I agree with PON... If it aint broke....

Just be glad you don't need to go through the diag sheets I sent you....

GreenMachine01

5+ Year Member
Sensors flipped out again on Friday. Its going to the shop as of thursday. Hope my extended warranty covers this. If not, Im thinking it's not going to be pretty.

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i almost set off my front bumper sensor while i was putting in my new headlights a few weeks ago, that would of sucked

TEAM OCELOT

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GreenMachine01 said:
Went to the dealer this morning. 85 bones just to check it out. They really know how to rape us for sure.
Yea, stealershios and doctors are the only ones that can charge you for not fixing the problem,just to check it out:x

GreenMachine01

5+ Year Member
they really couldn't tell. Had to take it back again after I got it back. Got it back today. They called yesterday and said that they couldnt tell me 100% that it was the cam timing sensor. I told them just to replace the damn sensor....had to TELL them because they said that the computer and their flowcharts and service manuals told them nothing was really wrong. They need to be real mechanics and try to figure it out instead of relying on the freakin computer and flowchart. If it happens again, I will take it to another dealer or the same one will keep the car until it is running in excellent condition. 2nd option is buy the 92 Camaro I found with only a TBI computer and brake computer and loose this sensor BS all together

BTW, any of you dudes or chicks ever had to have your Operating System updated on your car? They said my computer needed an OS update. Just tought it was odd since I have never had to do it on a 99 4runner or the VW Bug that my sister has.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
Quite interesting, I've heard of it,(firmware updates) but not without sending out a service notice to consumers first.

As far as not finding out what your problem was.... IF the light isn't on while they are going through the diagnostics, there isn't much the'll be able to do. The only way to truly test the fault, is to have the fault be present. Personaly I'd take it to another dealer, and bring in copies of your repair orders from the old dealer, explain the situation. I know here where I work, if this happened and you had an extended warranty that covered the sensors, we'd replace the sensors. Period.