Serious problems with 06 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.

nollaig

5+ Year Member
Hi all,

I’m doing the rounds of the boards because I am at my wit’s end.

Bought an ’06 Civic Coupe LX auto last November and have had nothing but trouble since.

#1 Faulty ODS sensor replaced before recall

#2 Torque converter vibrates between 29 and 39 mph @ 1500 rpm. They told that there is as yet no fix for this - so basically they said “live with it!”

#3 Oil leak. The car is currently in the shop – they have to drop the transmission to replace a plug where the engine meets the transmission.

This is my second Civic (my wife has an 02 Accord). Needless to say, I will not buy another Honda. I am amazed that a car manufacturer of this caliber can build, sell and SUPPORT a car that is so obviously sub-par.

I am writing this as a heads-up for other Civic owners and to ask if anyone else has experienced any of these problems.

Thanks for listening (it gets very lonely).

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
should've wait for an 07 or 08..

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pineapples said:
should've wait for an 07 or 08..
most helpful answer i've seen to-date :banana:

here was a repsonse from a honda technician on honda-tech.... which nollaig has already read... but just so everyone else knows

johnjw said:
all of these problems are being addressed by honda.

I worked on an 06 w/ the oil leak. There are six oil plugs( not oil drain) on these r18's, 2 front, 2 back, and one on each side of the motor. Some of them did not come w/sealant (thread lock) on them, and depended entirely on the crush washer. The new plug will fix it.

I also worked on another one w/ a bad opds before the recall came out. Replaced the opds unit and still had a SRS dtc. They will take out the SRS control unit. You might want to mention this when talking to the service advisor. But dont mention that you read it on the internet, they hate that. jus tell them that you talked to certified honda technician.

As far as the torque convertor going bad, I havent seen this problem "yet"

also on the lemmon thing, I know certain states have certain laws, but Honda still needs a chance to repair your problems, so give em a chance. I've seen people try to go this route and they(Honda) are not going to let this happen. If the dealer cannot fix Honda will send out a field engineer to fix it.

anywho good luck

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whenever a new generation of car comes out I will always wait at least ayear or two cause by then most of the bugs are worked out. Hence why I waitied til 06 to get my tC

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That really sucks bro especially when you get a brand new Honda with the expectation of high quality and reliability. I hope they fix your car up right.

Ominous G2

ClubIntegra.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The 06 is definetly full of problems, I heard a couple cases of needing the transmission replaced. 5spd and auto.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nollaig said:
Needless to say, I will not buy another Honda.).
not that i care all that much but thats a pretty dumb reason to not buy honda... like the others said anytime you get a new generation of a car your gonna have problems, not just honda

but uh, thanks for the warning i guess :what:

celtic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't want to sound like an a*****e, but youve had a few bad experiences with one brand new Honda and your saying you will never buy another Honda again? As stated above, whenever you buy a car that is a brand new style, there are bound to be kinks to get worked out. I drive a 99 civic and just had to replace the engine due to spun bearing. Maybe it was my driving, maybe it was the previous owner, I don't know. What I do know is that even though I had to replace the engine in my civic, I have still spent less on repairs than anyone of my friends who drives a domestic.

And for the record. I happen to work at a Honda Dealership and we have sold a shitload of the new civics. They are our best selling car, and we have not had ONE come back with any of the problems you mentioned or any problems for that matter. You shouldn't blame an entire company for your lemon or some kinks that need worked out. s**t happens bro.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for every person with those complaints there are 100's who are happy as can be.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow....I have spent hardly any money in Maintenance. I have about 118,000 on my 99. I also own a 01 honda van with 89,000 on it....again very little needed in repairs. The thing is they are both from long lines of a model with very little changes in the model line through out the years. The 06 is all new. In my opinion this was expected from a completely new model. Are they crap? NO! I understand how you feel. I had a 96 saturn brand new have a bunch of problems. Was it a piece of crap? YES!! But that is because it was a Saturn. Anyway, because I had a bad experiance I still do not trust Saturns. Unfortunately you will probably be the same way. I hope not though. I work on cars all day and I would so much rather trust my wife dragging my kids all over in a Honda before anything else. My kids first cars will be Hondas. God, I really don't want to think about them driving......Thanks. I need a drink now.

racerx661

certified pervert
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i can see where this guy is coming from....he has a bad taste in his mouth...his dealership sounds like many that are out there..dont wanna do s**t...if I bought a brand new car whether it be a kia or a porsche...if it had to keep going back and forth into the shop and me having to take off work I would be pissed off... good luck with your problems man

DigitalShift

5+ Year Member
As everyone else says..

You cant justify abandoning Hondas period because of malfunctions and recalls... Thats why they have recalls and not only that, without stuff breaking, there wouldnt be a way to make the right parts. Back in 1990, my parents orderd a new 1991 Ford Explorer. In the span of about 5 months, the SUV was in the shop for about 3 of them. Recalls, malfunctions, parts breaking...LOOSE LUG NUTS!! It was a brand new car, brand new model..its going to have some bugs.

That shouldnt stop you from ever buying a Honda again.. I agree with everyone else wait a year or so AFTER all the recalls have been fixed.

Lastly, dont act like your doing us a favor by giving us the heads up. Everyone on this board loves Hondas(obvisouly its clubcivic.com) so posting something like this isnt going to do anything for you. Maybe if you make bashing threads about the new Civic you bough in all the forums on the internet..maybe Honda will give you a new car?!?!

My girlfriend has a new Civic EX and its awesome. Not a single problem with it...

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ominous G2 said:
The 06 is definetly full of problems, I heard a couple cases of needing the transmission replaced. 5spd and auto.
Same thing for some 7th gens. Search on here and I'm sure you'll see some info about trannies f**king up in 7th gens. Then again, I don't believe Honda has the strongest trannies out there.

I wouldn't curse Honda for problems in one car (or in one year and model of car). It's a first year run and personally, I'd be less interested in it purely for that. At least these problems are showing themselves before the warranty is up. Please don't swear off Honda because you're having problems in this car though.

Especially since this is a new motor (new series even) and the problems and solutions were explained to you, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I can understand though, because you probably are feeling like Honda's been jerking you around a lot lately.

OVNi_CIVIC

Revise
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im lauging at how some of you compare honda to ford..and saturn...geeez guyz of course you going to have problems with those s**t-boxes!

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
OVNi_CIVIC said:
im lauging at how some of you compare honda to ford..and saturn...geeez guyz of course you going to have problems with those s**t-boxes!
honda's have actually proven to be problematic cars for me...

more so than any domestic i've ever owned :what:
and i feel comfortable saying i've owned many more domestics than anyone on the board at this time

one of my most reliable vehicles was a 95 ford bronco full sized... i drove that thing 40,000 in just over a year... and i never did anything more than oil changes

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
*shrugs*

Advice:

ALWAYS wait a year before buying a new generation of ANY car, just common sense, sorry to hear about your issues though, Honda makes good stuff IMO from all the ones I have owned.

rolakers

Milkman Insane
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
everything that's new has bugs and kinks in it, just like the new xbox overheats and whatnot, cars will do the same thing (not overheat) they have some bugs too. I have an 02 civic ex and had it for 4 years now and did not have a single problem with it. Not even one. So I say stick with honda.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ominous G2 said:
looks like i myself actually lucked out for ones, got 7,000+ mles on my 06 EX 5SPD not a problem at all =)

Status
Not open for further replies.