shift knob replacement question for 05 EM2

2k5civic

i hate imports...! siiike
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i noticed when i took off my factory shift knob that the boot clips into the shift knob with two lil black prongs.
now if i wanted to change out shift knobs like installing the hfp shift knob, will the boot clip into that knob or what .?? otherwise the boot will just be all loose and not connected to the knob!??? ., holla.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i wondered about that too, so i just bought a type r style shift boot :lol:

the boot will probably just sag below, unless you rig something onto the shift lever that holds the boot up to the shift knob, like a washer or something, i would mess around with stuff until you get something that will hold it up right, or just buy a new boot

2k5civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn. im thinking itll just clip because im thinking why would honda make an hfp knob if tis going to look shitty not hooked to the boot.!?? hm... ill ive them a call or something because i want that hfp shift knob looks clean . ill think of something thnx man

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wait, the knob you are getting is made by honda? if so i would think it would clip to the stock boot, that would be really dumb if it didnt :???: but if it doesn't, refer the my previous post =)

2k5civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya thas what im saying., i guess itll work., just with any other knob likea mugen or what not id have to change out my boot. which i wouldnt know how tah do .damn im disfunctional.!

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the boot is easy to change you just have to take your center console out, there are clips on each side that are pretty easy to see, on my 6th gen anyway, then you just hook it up to the bracket thingy, you would see it once you got the center console off.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my shift boot is weird. ever since I installed the short shifter and everything like it tucks down. It doesnt look bad at all, but looks different. prolly cause I was so used to how it used to look

2k5civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
word i guess ill have to figure it out

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SCCRules said:
my shift boot is weird. ever since I installed the short shifter and everything like it tucks down. It doesnt look bad at all, but looks different. prolly cause I was so used to how it used to look
like dis?

anyway, good luck with yours stuff 2k5civic =)

2k5civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just quickly read up on sum info.. looks like for adjustment to any shift knob replacement other than honda factory., id have to take off the center console and flip it upside down and turn the boot inside out and tie it with a piece of tie then flip it back outside in and wallah just add the new knob.. hm.. i wonder.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hard to see, but yeah pretty much like that. lol. BTW nice shift boot.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea my garage doesn't have muhc light in it sorry lol. thanks

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i put a washer over my shift lever... since the lever is tapered the washer will only slide down so far.

find out how far down you want the shift boot to rest, then find a washer that will rest there.
then just slip your cover over and problem solved

took me......... 30 seconds? maybe a few more.... so possibly 45 whole seconds :lol:

dzxkrg426

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just bought a dc sport shifter for ma 05 si and it came wit a clip so it'll fit