Shift Problem: 2nd, 4th, 5th = Shift Cables or Tranny?

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
Ok guys hopefully you can help me out here, this is my problem.

I have a H23A in my civic (bought the car with the motor and a blown tranny). A friend of mine had an F-series tranny laying around that he got with a perfectly good swap but used his original tranny and left the other one sitting, so he gave it to me.

So i finally get around to putting the tranny in (after swapping the gear housings cuz the tranny mounts were different), and im having issues with shifting 2nd, 4th, and 5th. Heres a quick rundown.

1st Gear = Perfectly fine, no issues at all
2nd Gear = goes into gear fine, works ok, BUT sometimes pops out under deceleration (notice it when im turning mainly)
3rd Gear = Perfectly fine, no issues at all.
4th Gear = MAIN PROBLEM. DOES NOT ENGAGE PROPERLY. It goes into gear fine but as i let off the clutch, it pops out and grinds (like its only half engaged). Even trying to hold it in 4th doesn't really work.
5th Gear = Kind of the same problem as 4th, but not that bad, it goes in and drives in 5th, but can sometimes pop out, if i hold it there its perfectly fine.
Reverse = perfectly fine, no issues at all.

So im HOPING that its possibly a bent shift cable since its mainly the lower gears that have issues (1st, 3rd, 5th (kinda), and reverse are fine).

Worst case scenario would be the transmision itself? Is it possible a detent could be causing the issues?

What are your guys input on the situation, any help is appreciated.

PS. I used genuine honda MTF when filling the tranny for the first time but the bottles i had were sitting in my garage for 6+ months (never opened though, but there only seal these bottles have is the cap + ring). Dont think that could be an issue but im covering all bases.

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
Also to add to the OP, when the car is off or running (standing), I can shift through every gear perfectly fine, it feels like every gear is going in fully and smoothly (for the most part).

However, Ive also noticed that with the lower gears im having problems with, i can move the shifter down about an inch without connecting that gear before i have to clutch and move it the remaining half inch.. i dont know if that sounds f***ed up but i dont know how to explain it.

If it helps ill make a video of the shifter movement im talking about (but i cant make a video of the main problem with the gears cuz the battery is dead and dont have a boost vehicle right now lol)

I've uploaded a video of the shifter play, maybe this can shed some light on any suggestions.

http://youtu.be/pv40MzQ8cH0?hd=1

But even though the shifter can move before engaging the gear, i had a friend look at the shift arm under to hood while i did the same thing i did in the video, and he said the shift arm moved with every motion (no delays or anything)

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Man, I have no idea..... But BUMP!! for you man !

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From the thread title i thought it was the tranny, but now im not too sure.

But with it being gears on the same side having problems then there is a chance with it being the gears or synchros.

But popping out if gear around a corner... Hmm

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From the thread title i thought it was the tranny, but now im not too sure.

But with it being gears on the same side having problems then there is a chance with it being the gears or synchros.

But popping out if gear around a corner... Hmm

kwilson28

i pretty much guarentee it's the transmission bro, i cable wouldn't act like that, it's just a super whooped transmission

gugiey

Registered VIP
to me it seems like your tranny .

my theory . I think one of your tranny shafts have to much play .

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shift cables could be kinked, needing adjusting and tightening. Or worst case scenario, replaced.

BULL3TPR00F

Registered Racer
5+ Year Member
well i still have my old tranny so if worse comes to worse ill have to drop the tranny again and swap the shafts with my old ones.