Shifting problems

D Bart

5+ Year Member
I've been having problems off and on with shifting in and out of some gears. About 2 months ago, it was getting really hard to shift in and out of 5th gear. I've had the car (96 civic) for about 5 yrs. and have never had this problem. Recently, i've been having problems getting in to third. I'm puzzled. Not sure what exactly the problem is (losing gears?, clutch?).

Input is appreciated.

- D

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds obvious, but have you checked you brake fluid level in your master cylinder reservoir?

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i take it by the "sounds obvious" remark that you think its the clutch going out.
It could be, but what I'm saying is if that fluid is low it's going to cause problems with your clutch.

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How many miles are on the car? You could also check your trans fluid for metal shavings. But, it could be a clutch problem^^ too.

HybridKyle

5+ Year Member
I have the same problem with my GSR tranny, sometimes it's a BEEEOTCH to get into 1st. Might want to change the fluid in the tranny if you have never done it. This would also be the time to look for those metal shavings...

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could be fluids, bearings in the shaft ( i had this problem messing up second gear, would keep popping out) then i changed the bearing and it was good, could also be air in the lines, clutch like ppl said... throw out bearing (but i think u would hear noise if so) or shift linkage bent? alot of possibilities

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
add tranny fluid if possible to see if it shifts easier. if not, change tranny fluid, and like stated before, look for metal shavings.