shock advice

Hanh The Nguyen

5+ Year Member
hey whats up guys, got a lx sedan 97 slammed on megan coilovers, err not really slammed got a finger gap in the back and a little less in the front. it handles awesome but bounces all over the place.

any advice on some shock absorbers? its a commuter car so something comfortable and a tad softer than something stiff and autocross-y

thanks

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some adjustable ones? Like the KYB AGX, Tokico Illuminas, or Koni Yellow.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive got tokico illuminas. they are great for DD and OK for autox. i recommend them :thumbup:

808EK96

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I Like My Koni Yellows. Plus you can adjust the perch higher or lower and adjust the dampining firm or comfort ride.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I Like My Koni Yellows. Plus you can adjust the perch higher or lower and adjust the dampining firm or comfort ride.
how much did a set cost you?

illuminas have dampening adjustment, but no perch height adjustment. ~$360 a set

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I also bought my illuminas for 360. I'm happy with them:thumbs up

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have heard that the AGX's don't ride well with cars that have a ride height similiar to mine and what the OP was stated...

Hanh The Nguyen

5+ Year Member
rolla, your car inspired me to lower my car and put wheels on it, super clean. ill try to post pics up of mine. thanks for the advice guys

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since your on coilovers, its gonna be hard to get away from that bounciness(?) any of the above mentioned (KYB AGX, Koni's, pretty much any decent name with adjustability) and you should be a little better off, or go full coilover set, Like Tein SS, or similar

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Riding on Tokico Illuminas here. Good stuff.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
All dropzone FTW.

but I bounce around. lol

Hanh The Nguyen

5+ Year Member
aside from getting full on coilovers is there anything else i can do to upgrade the suspension. i just have the megan adjustable springs right now. but sway bars? i think i might to some brake work later on too, just anything else to make it more fun in the twisty?

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aside from getting full on coilovers is there anything else i can do to upgrade the suspension. i just have the megan adjustable springs right now. but sway bars? i think i might to some brake work later on too, just anything else to make it more fun in the twisty?
Beefier sway bars would help.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have heard that the AGX's don't ride well with cars that have a ride height similiar to mine and what the OP was stated...
I got agx with skunk2 coilover and it ride smooth also on the corners.
I'm at 1finger gap in the rear and none in the front.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how can it bounce all over the place but still handle great?... ive never bought STRUTS ive always just gone with full coilovers and ive always been happy with that

Hanh The Nguyen

5+ Year Member
the way a race car bounces over bumps in the road but they still handle great?
you mean ride comfort/quality?

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the way a race car bounces over bumps in the road but they still handle great?
you mean ride comfort/quality?
well any stiff spring will make you bounces,is all matter on the struts but this is why the adjustable one come in handy to stop the bounce.
it will stop the bounce but not completely.