Short Shift or not.

Rayden

All Stock....For Now.
5+ Year Member
Like Ive posted before...Ive had my Civic for about 3 months now, Which means Ive been driving a stick for exactly 3 months now :lol: ..LOL... My quesion to you all is this: Being that im a new 5-speed driver, would you suggest getting a short shifter right way, or do you think i should get a little use to the "loosey" shifter :?:
Reason I ask is because, one of the first mods that im looking forward to ordering this weekend will be a short shifter. My friend tells me that I need to get totally Comfortable with the OE shifter first.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes

get used to it

i started out on a 5 speed with a short shifter and stage 2 clutch....sucked.

b&m are the shortest throw...incredibly short...yet difficult sometimes to determine what gear u're in...very very very short

i have a skunk2 dual bend...love it...

Rayden

All Stock....For Now.
5+ Year Member
Cool....One of my friends has a stage 2 or 3 clutch ...i think...And that $hit felt like I was doing leg presses.

Thanks for the SS advice though!

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you change the shifter change the bushings as well.. they make a HUGE difference.. i have B&M and its short but i love it.. skunk dual bend is nice as well, really depends on what you prefer.. low sitting clean tight shifter.. or fairly short shifting.. sticking up higher but at a nice easy reach.. that would pretty much decide which is for you = )

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got my skunk2 a little after I got my car. I didn't have any problems. My mom does though.

Rayden

All Stock....For Now.
5+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
if you change the shifter change the bushings as well.. they make a HUGE difference.. i have B&M and its short but i love it.. skunk dual bend is nice as well, really depends on what you prefer.. low sitting clean tight shifter.. or fairly short shifting.. sticking up higher but at a nice easy reach.. that would pretty much decide which is for you = )
I really do like my reach right now. however I sat in the new s2k at the local honda dealer and loved the shifter in it. :D

sky9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
welll iono i think it doesnt really matter much. Im staying wit my stock 1. but thats just me.

sidewayzinCA

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just got a buddyclub short shifter and i am in the same scenario as you, i just learned to drive on this car. i had no problem transfering over.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yes definately go ahead and get the short shifter....i got a short shifter 2 weeks after i got my car

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get the shifter now and when you feel like you are good at shifting then install the shifter.

anothernguyen

5+ Year Member
this might sound bad but i dont like da way mah shift is soo high i was gonna cut it down and put on a different shift knob.....i just heard recently dat a short shifter is not good for ur transmission, i dont know why but dats what i heard. but i might get one mahself neways...because alot of s**t isnt good fo ur tranny

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont think short shifters are to blame for tranny problems its more likey the change in driving styles after the shifter is installed :drive:

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah it don't matter if you slam gear with a stock or a short shifter. It is bad either way. Just don't drive like a moron.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
if you change the shifter change the bushings as well.. they make a HUGE difference.
Soo true...I had a short shifter for three years before I got some Energy Suspension shifter bushings...made a night and day difference. They're only like $12.00 too.

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a skunk2 and love it as well. Its not super short if you are going to looks. But it feels wonderful!

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anothernguyen said:
this might sound bad but i dont like da way mah shift is soo high i was gonna cut it down and put on a different shift knob.....i just heard recently dat a short shifter is not good for ur transmission, i dont know why but dats what i heard. but i might get one mahself neways...because alot of s**t isnt good fo ur tranny
Yikes! :shock:

I actually did that hacksaw mod on my Celica. :oops:

I had a 5 speed from a pickup and the shifter was too long. It's the same W50 tranny on the Celica, Corona, and HiLux, but the shifter is longer for obvious reasons.

I cut the shifter, JB Welded a knob on to the stump and started looking for the proper Celica shifter. It worked but shift effort was a bit higher and it was ghetto-er than a mo-fo
The short shifter doesn't hurt the tranny. The loose nut behind the steering wheel does. :lol:

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
The short shifter doesn't hurt the tranny. The loose nut behind the steering wheel does. :lol:
Good point. Gotta watch out for that one.

cole

holding monster
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive had b&m and i loved it and now i have a skunk2 and love it as well, im not sure wich i prefer but the b&m is alot cheeper. you dont need to get used to your oem shifter thats just him or something i put a B&M ss on my car the 3rd week i got it, and to the comment about messing up your tranny, ive heard that to because your not shifting in conjunction with the push your foot has to make so i heard you get an http://www.omnipowerusa.com/Products/Products_Master_Cylinder.asp and it clears this problem up but im used to mine with just the shifter if you learn it you dont need that but imjust talking now so ill stop hope i helped

Rayden

All Stock....For Now.
5+ Year Member
I want something that will reduce the chances of mis-shifting.