Short shifter

Ej8civic

5+ Year Member
okay so im looking at some short shifters to get for my car, looking at skunk2, now can you guys tell me what the diffrence between dual bend and single bend is? i can tell that the dual bend one is bent more but what does it actuall feel like, or shift like?

matt2122

5+ Year Member
cant really speak for short shifters other than i have *heard* that sometimes they have issues with rubbing on the exhaust. i can reccomend however that you get energy suspension shift bushings, they really make a difference.

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did the energy bushings come in the big master bushing kit or did you just get them individually? not to thread jack but i am really interested in the kit.

oh and to help the guy out what kind of short throw did you have anyways? (i don't have one but am considering)

Ej8civic

5+ Year Member
i dont have a short throw im looking into skunk2

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b&m ftw! got one in on my 97 and my other for my 99 should be coming in soon

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Short shifters are truely a bad idea. I do not understand why people are so stuck on them.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Short shifters are truely a bad idea. I do not understand why people are so stuck on them.
:word:
To answer your question i feel its because people jump on the band wagon honestly, i know its why i did but then realized that short shifter not even on for a year probably caused my 2nd and 3rd gear grinds
I know when i swap to my ls/vtec im sticking with my gsr and calling it a day and actually learning how to shift faster the right way

Why oh idk, maybe cause they tend to destroy trannies, you can only shift so fast or so hard into a gear before you start messing stuff up. If you can truely drive you wouldnt need one and i found this out the hard way, plus honestly the oem shifter had a better feel to it anyway. It was more lose but thats why energy suspension makes shifter bushings and that is actually a smart mod to do

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Let's not get into that again, please. There is a multiple page thread already going with these guys bashing the short throw.

If you are going to get into it again, I would like to see facts. Articles and tests that proves your argument. No more of this hearsay bullshit. Isolated incidents where they had a tranny fail and blame it on the short throw. How do you know for a fact that it was the short throw or are you just placing blame? Unless you have exacting proof, you are only guessing. There are people that have had them on for hundreds of miles and have no problems, so it seems to work both ways. So before you go about AGAIN telling people that it is a bad idea, come up with some real facts.

This goes for both sides.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Let's not get into that again, please. There is a multiple page thread already going with these guys bashing the short throw.

If you are going to get into it again, I would like to see facts. Articles and tests that proves your argument. No more of this hearsay bullshit. Isolated incidents where they had a tranny fail and blame it on the short throw. How do you know for a fact that it was the short throw or are you just placing blame? Unless you have exacting proof, you are only guessing. There are people that have had them on for hundreds of miles and have no problems, so it seems to work both ways. So before you go about AGAIN telling people that it is a bad idea, come up with some real facts.

I gave you real facts previously, it's not my fault you're ignorant about it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I gave you real facts previously, it's not my fault you're ignorant about it.

You saying that "this happened to me" isn't the end all be all for the failure of trannys because of short throw shifters. All you are doing is throwing out biased statements. There are others that have put hundreds of miles without problems.

Where are your hard proven facts? The article that you posted the link to was from a company that is selling their so called "better shifter". I don't want to hear any more about how this happened to you. Just because YOU had it happened to your tranny/clutch doesn't mean that the rest of the world is in for trouble putting one of these on their car.

Until you can prove to me that normal driving, under every day experience causes the tranny/clutch to wear prematurely then I will continue to be against your statement that they are all bad news.

I am not talking about built motors, higher hp set ups, turbos, etc. I am talking about everyday people that come on here asking about them and you instantly go into bash mode telling them that everyone is basically stupid if they purchase one.

I have installed no less than 5 on civics and accords. All were daily drivers and one has put over 150k on the set up since. I have yet to receive a call about tranny or clutch failure. The only call I got was because of a cheap ebay unit that snapped in half, which wasn't tranny or clutch.

Because I don't believe that what you are saying is true about all short shifter set ups, doesn't mean that I am ignorant. It means that all I see is that you had a bad experience and you are trying to preach to everyone else about it, saying every future experience is going to follow the same road.

The one statement that I can see that you made that I actually agree with is the shift times and the placement of the short throw shifter being off. From what I can feel, it seems that with the short throw, it puts it farther away from your seated position. In 1st, 3rd, and 5th you have to reach a little to get that gear. That is why I am assuming that a lot of race guys put taller shifters in their cars. I have actually thought of doing just that in mine. It keeps the shifter closer to the steering wheel, so you are closer when you need to reach to shift. We used to put bus shifters in our bugs because they were longer.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oem integra shifter ftw,it sit really close to you and don't need to reach for it like short shifter.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

I must've missed that thread haha. Sorry to ask!

oem integra shifter ftw,it sit really close to you and don't need to reach for it like short shifter.
:word:

matt2122

5+ Year Member
did the energy bushings come in the big master bushing kit or did you just get them individually? not to thread jack but i am really interested in the kit.

oh and to help the guy out what kind of short throw did you have anyways? (i don't have one but am considering)
yeah, you can get just the shift bushings, got mine at jegs for like $17......big difference. thought about a short shift at first but no more because i have a bad habit of not pushing the clutch all the way in which sometimes make a little noise but oh well, it's a trans with almost 200k so when it goes i'll put an ex in

4wd eg6

5+ Year Member
anyone its good but they get to the exhaust and their too weak. i already broke 2.