Should I get a valve job done to my head after the HG has blown?

Civic Chris

5+ Year Member
I had noticed that my coolant, and oil and been burning slightly for awhile, but recently, my head gasket completely blew. I'm curious as to if it is nescessary for me to get a valve job done to it. So far, I have been getting mixed answers to my question.

I'll post back in about 3 hours, if anyone needs more information.

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it always good to adjust your valves at anypoint there is nothing wrong with that

but you dont have to adjust them to just change the HG, but i reccommend it

whateg01

5+ Year Member
Adjusting the valve lash is not a valve job. A valve job involves grinding the valves and the seats so they form a tight seal when the valve is closed.

If you can spend the money, it won't hurt to do it. I'd be more concerned with the head being warped, tho. When I took the head off of my car (I bought it with a blown head gasket) the head had about 9 thou of dish to it and one burned valve. I picked up a salvage head for about $100 with about 2 thou warp and good valves. The best way I know of to tell if you need a valve job is to check compression and do a leak-down test, but you're gonna go through a head gasket if you have to take it all apart again to get it done.

My gut would say you're probably fine, but YMMV.