Should I go for it?

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So a good friend of my dad's son is selling his 95 Civic EX/DX (hell if I know) with 195,000 miles for $1700. Basically, it's the epitome of "rice" in my opinion - the black projector headlights (probably with stock bulbs), black or fake carbon fiber tail lights, and these ugly 18" wheels with this thin strip of rubber around them that's apparently called a tire. I don't think it's that great of a deal, and I already told my dad I'd much rather take his El Camino than this ricey Civic.

So I turn to you guys; do you think it's worth it? I mean, for $1700 you can't expect much.. but I how long will this car last considering it already has 195,000 miles on it.

Also, I have one more question - what are some well-known, semi-popular swaps for this car that won't break my wallet? Of course I want something faster than the stock 102hp I think it is.. :D

Any input is appreciated. =)

clifford_05

Rockin the d-series
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eh the motor can still last a while.. I mean ya something can break but as long as its well maintained it should be alright for a while.. Umm without seeing any pics of the car Im not real sure how the body looks or anything like that.. Does it have any rust on the rear quarter panels?? You could always sell the rims if you get it.. Umm you could always change the headlights and tailights for cheap if ya wanted.. It dont sound like a real bad deal but without knowing what it looks like its alittle harder to tell ya more..

Umm as for a swap.. You could go with a b16 or h22 for cheaper then other swaps.. Spend alittle more and you could get a b18 swap.. It really depends what you want the motor to do.. How much power you want it to have, and some other smaller s**t like that..

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eh the motor can still last a while.. I mean ya something can break but as long as its well maintained it should be alright for a while.. Umm without seeing any pics of the car Im not real sure how the body looks or anything like that.. Does it have any rust on the rear quarter panels?? You could always sell the rims if you get it.. Umm you could always change the headlights and tailights for cheap if ya wanted.. It dont sound like a real bad deal but without knowing what it looks like its alittle harder to tell ya more..

Umm as for a swap.. You could go with a b16 or h22 for cheaper then other swaps.. Spend alittle more and you could get a b18 swap.. It really depends what you want the motor to do.. How much power you want it to have, and some other smaller s**t like that..
The car is in perfect condition, in fact it's already primered and ready for paint. So if I end up getting it, I can get the extra cash to paint it as well. I'll try to get some pictures soon, though..

As for the motor, I'd like something along 160whp with minor mods like I/H/E and then suspension upgrades later down the road.

clifford_05

Rockin the d-series
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The car is in perfect condition, in fact it's already primered and ready for paint. So if I end up getting it, I can get the extra cash to paint it as well. I'll try to get some pictures soon, though..

As for the motor, I'd like something along 160whp with minor mods like I/H/E and then suspension upgrades later down the road.
If the body is good an what not then it sounds like an alright deal to me.. I mean whats it gonna hurt to get it and make it into a dd/project car..

And if your wantin 160whp with minor mods you better be swappin in atleast a b18c or a h22 since your wantin to just do minor mods.. Could always save up an get a k20 :cool:

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the body is good an what not then it sounds like an alright deal to me.. I mean whats it gonna hurt to get it and make it into a dd/project car..

And if your wantin 160whp with minor mods you better be swappin in atleast a b18c or a h22 since your wantin to just do minor mods.. Could always save up an get a k20 :cool:
Haha.. cool. Well I'll see what happens in the coming days and I'll try to get pictures, too.

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get some pics.. maybe it could make a nice project car.

nice avi btw. good band/cd

Milano01

Old School CC.com'er
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like its a good idea to me, man are serious?! 18s?! is the car even lowered???

i'd say go b20 :cool:, its cheap! but i guess you could get a b18 or k20

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like its a good idea to me, man are serious?! 18s?! is the car even lowered???

i'd say go b20 :cool:, its cheap! but i guess you could get a b18 or k20
Well, I'm not sure if they're 18's exactly.. but they're either 17's or 18's.. I assumed they were 18's though because I didn't recall him saying anything about the car being lowered, and there wasn't much of a wheel-well gab. Hell, the tires were pretty low-profile, too! :P

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get some pics.. maybe it could make a nice project car.

nice avi btw. good band/cd
That's what I'm planning to do. Since it's going to be my first car (I'm only 16), I'm gonna try and make it last. The only bad thing about it is that it has the ugly wheels.. I'd be way more interested if it had stock hubs because if it just had the head and tail lights changed, I could swap them out for OEM with ease. If I end up getting the car though, I hopefully should be able to sell the wheels and tires quickly around here.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

ive seen an SirB16A pull 155whp with just intake and exhaust plus a chip and tune. not too bad if you ask me.

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tell him $1500 cash, sell the wheels and get some rota or something. just do a junkyard turbo setup on the D15/16 and you'll make 160hp. i'm running 6lbs on my D16 and made 187hp and159tq.

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tell him $1500 cash, sell the wheels and get some rota or something. just do a junkyard turbo setup on the D15/16 and you'll make 160hp. i'm running 6lbs on my D16 and made 187hp and159tq.
Yeah, maybe.. I'm hoping I can get near $1000 for the wheels and tires, since the tires are wayy to low profile for my tastes. Also, this is gonna be my first car as well as my daily driver. So I think I'm gonna go NA on the build after the engine gives out or I just get tired of the 98whp it supplies me with. :D

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
900 bucks final offer trust me and tell him you wait for it
Nah.. I'm not gonna go that low. I already checked the value @ kbb.com, and it gave me around $2500 I think it was for poor quality, so I know $1700/$1800 is a good deal since the engine is almost at 200,000 miles.

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, maybe.. I'm hoping I can get near $1000 for the wheels and tires, since the tires are wayy to low profile for my tastes. Also, this is gonna be my first car as well as my daily driver. So I think I'm gonna go NA on the build after the engine gives out or I just get tired of the 98whp it supplies me with. :D
you won't pull 1k for the wheels unless there nice rims and the tires are good. and if your doing a budget build then staying NA isn't going to work too well. a friend has a EG sedan with I/H/E, GSR cams, and a ITR trans w/ a LSD and i still pull on him. i also but down 30 more ft lbs of torque.

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you won't pull 1k for the wheels unless there nice rims and the tires are good. and if your doing a budget build then staying NA isn't going to work too well. a friend has a EG sedan with I/H/E, GSR cams, and a ITR trans w/ a LSD and i still pull on him. i also but down 30 more ft lbs of torque.
Well the tires and wheels were practically brand new, but I wasn't sure what kind of tires they are. I know I can get around 3-4 hundred for the wheels, and maybe 5-6 hundred for the tires? Just a estimate, though. He told me the wheels and tires were brand new when I last saw the car.