Should street racers cars be crushed here in the U.S.A ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnyk33

Any car can be Raced
5+ Year Member
With street racing related deaths on the rise across North America, governments and police forces are having to try new and drastic measures to combat the illegal and dangerous activity. On Wednesday in California, several known street racer’s rides were sent to the crusher to send a message to other racers that their hobby will not be tolerated.

Here in Ontario, a couple of loogans were “racing” on a major highway last weekend and caused a major accident which resulted in the death of a selfless truck driver who drove off the road rather than crash into the existing accident. The two that caused the incident have been charged under new street racing laws.

In response to this latest death, Toronto area police are lobbying to begin crushing street racer’s cars in a program similar to that in California. The difference is that in California, the cars crushed are those belonging to known, convicted street racers. Here in Toronto, the cops want to crush cars that are modified for street racing.

From the Toronto Star:
“Just on the balance of probabilities if we can establish that a car is being used for the unlawful purpose of street racing, we will seize it and you will never see it again.

Manuel Hernandez reacts after his car and other impounded vehicles were crushed at Ecology Auto Parts in Rialto, Calif., on Wednesday.

“We will crush your car, we will crush the parts.”

Here is the problem: How are they going to determine if a car has been modified for street racing, or modified to improve vehicle handling, or modified for legitimate competition?

World wide, weekend warriors partake in legal, sanctioned motorsports events in their modified daily drivers. In most cases, these guys and girls drive like little old ladies on the street, because they have the opportunity to get their jollies out on the track. Many of these good folks are young adults, who may enjoy the same style of clothing and music as their street racing counterparts. How do the police intend to differentiate between the good and the bad, solely based on the modifications made to their cars?

Make no mistake, street racing needs to stop, but is it fair to paint with a wide brush just due to bolt on performance parts. In York Region, at Toronto’s north end, police have laid over 550 charges against street racers in the last 6 weeks. Why not begin crushing the cars that belong to those guys, who have already been caught. Then, suspend their driver’s license indefinitely. If they have no license, then they (hopefully) won’t be driving at all. Ever.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No matter what the law does, they wont stop street racing. This is something that has been going on since the birth of automobiles. It's more dangerous now because there are more people commuting on public roads. But to answer your question, They already do and I support it 100% I think mandatory jail time should be included also.
I'm sure some will bashme or attempt to, but oh well.

greycoupe

5+ Year Member
street racing will never stop
cause for one its too expensive
to run at the track over and over and over again
when u can line up and run for free

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:word:

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The last part is entirely correct.

We may drive cars that look like it's modified for street racing but we do go to the track. Even some of us don't even have enough money to buy a second car to build up and have a daily driver. My RX-7 was given to me by my dad as a birthday present after he owned it, it's the exterior is factory on the outside with an exception of Racing Beat mufflers/exhaust system (which is race purpose), but, even getting just some new rims and tires, does that classify the car as a street racer now? Think about all those people who build their daily drivers with a showroom car in mind.

I live in Ontario right now, in the Greater Toronto Area, and I think it is pretty stupid just to crush cars after just one glimpse at them. Maybe crush the car after pulling someone over for an excessive speeding ticket like 35 km/h over, and the car looks like it's ready to be pushed to the limits.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The difference is that in California, the cars crushed are those belonging to known, convicted street racers. Here in Toronto, the cops want to crush cars that are modified for street racing.

From the Toronto Star:
“Just on the balance of probabilities if we can establish that a car is being used for the unlawful purpose of street racing, we will seize it and you will never see it again.

Manuel Hernandez reacts after his car and other impounded vehicles were crushed at Ecology Auto Parts in Rialto, Calif., on Wednesday.

“We will crush your car, we will crush the parts.”
I can't imagine that would be legal here. The 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution should prohibit it.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Im all for crushing someones car if theyve been caught racing it. I think it should be within reason though. I mean if someone ends up going 95mph in a 40mph zone due to a race then yea crush the f**k out of the car. But sometimes s**t happens that looks worse than it is. My buddy was driving his Camaro recently and he took a corner a little too sharp and his rear wheels chirped. I dont think that should justify crushing someones car. Nor should simply modifying a car. I have plenty of friends who put exhaust systems on their car simply for the sound, theyre not concerned with the performance.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think they shouldnt crush cars,i would be in court if that ever happened to my shitty 5 thousand dollar civic. i love it too much., im sure there are other things in this world that are worth more attention to than street racing.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i think they shouldnt crush cars,i would be in court if that ever happened to my shitty 5 thousand dollar civic. i love it too much., im sure there are other things in this world that are worth more attention to than street racing.
Thats why theyre trying to simplify the process. No more court dates and trials and fines and bullshit like that for street racing. They dont waste their time. You street race, your car gets destroyed. End of story. If you love your Civic so much then dont street race with it.

When I say "you" I dont mean you directly, I mean people in general.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they should crush the driver

fvelasco89

5+ Year Member
Im new to this, does anyone know how i can post a question on this site? please help asap

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im new to this, does anyone know how i can post a question on this site? please help asap
click on the proper forum, click new thread

search before you start a new thread, your question may have already been answered.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Until you wreck your car or kill someone then it wouldn't have been to expensive racing on a track would it?

Timmy_B

civic in progress
5+ Year Member
yeah it's a two sided debate..

they started the 'crushing' car thing in Aus at the end of 2006 and since then NOT 1 car has been crushed.... so you might think "oh they stopped street racing"? NO! the street racers knew that the government was bluffing and they continued to race..

Just the other day on sunday the 4th Jan a 1999 Integra Type R was speeding down a busy road and lost control of his car, the 18 yr old driver killed te 15yr old passenger on impact..
Now the police and government are talking about defecting and taking cars that are caught doing 20 to 30km'h over the speed limit..

So when i hear stuff like that i really re-consider speeding cos i dont wanna die or loose my car BUT WTF IS IT WITH THE FEEL OF DRIVING.. i mean the next day this guy in a toyota soarer came up behind me and was keen to race. He overtook me on a 50km/h street at about 90km/h so i put my foot down and caught back up to him.. we continued down residentail street with kids on the side of the road at about 110Km/h still in the 50km/h zone.. i then pulled over to the side of the road and stopped cos i didn't wanna have an accident.. then he drove past me and started to slow down as well.. so i turned around and left..

so they will never stop street racing but i know that they do wanna stop us from killing ourselfs or others..

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah it's a two sided debate..

they started the 'crushing' car thing in Aus at the end of 2006 and since then NOT 1 car has been crushed.... so you might think "oh they stopped street racing"? NO! the street racers knew that the government was bluffing and they continued to race..

Just the other day on sunday the 4th Jan a 1999 Integra Type R was speeding down a busy road and lost control of his car, the 18 yr old driver killed te 15yr old passenger on impact..
Now the police and government are talking about defecting and taking cars that are caught doing 20 to 30km'h over the speed limit..

So when i hear stuff like that i really re-consider speeding cos i dont wanna die or loose my car BUT WTF IS IT WITH THE FEEL OF DRIVING.. i mean the next day this guy in a toyota soarer came up behind me and was keen to race. He overtook me on a 50km/h street at about 90km/h so i put my foot down and caught back up to him.. we continued down residentail street with kids on the side of the road at about 110Km/h still in the 50km/h zone.. i then pulled over to the side of the road and stopped cos i didn't wanna have an accident.. then he drove past me and started to slow down as well.. so i turned around and left..

so they will never stop street racing but i know that they do wanna stop us from killing ourselfs or others..
It's a shame you didnt wrap your car around a pole.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know a guy that hit a kid in his riced out automatic ej8 when he was racing :(

most of the tragic street racing stories in my area either involve bmw's or mustangs

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You will know why I said what I did if you ever live to have children of your own.

Timmy_B

civic in progress
5+ Year Member
yeah ok mate. Thats why i stopped. im not saying it wasn't a stupid thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.