single cam build help

sethxs06

so im lookin to build a d15. right now its a mini me with a z6 head. i just got it back from the machine shop, ran it for 500 miles, then did another swap. now i wanna build it for NA setup. i was wondering what you guys think i should do with the bottom end. I'd prefer not to bore it out, but id like to keep it relatively low cost. im not really going to do head work other than maybe a cam and cam gear. lemme know what kind of rods, pistons and crank you guys think i should use. thanks!:word:

emerican

Registered VIP
You may have better luck on d series.org cause most people here ride dohc swaps and even at d series ,org they will tell you there is no way to make high hp numbers out of an NA d series but i am doing the same thing you are cept with a y8 that i am very slowly piecing together doing it na cause it too high milage for boost and i dont have the money for boost just wanted to give you a heads up that everyone is going to tell you to swap it or boost it

ej_swag

Häagen-Dazs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want NA I would say go GSR. NA in a D series will pull low numbers and you won't be satisfied.

Spoonsedan

5+ Year Member
whoa whoa, a low cost, N/A, stock bore d15 with z6 head? what kind of numbers are you looking for?

sethxs06

I'm not looking to make any 300 hp NA motor but something that will make 160-170 hp at the crank and suprise ppl that its a SOHC. Something with a higher compression (10.5:1-12:1) than stock is all

emerican

Registered VIP
what does that motor come with hp wise stock
if your only looking to gain 30 or so that may be a more reallstic goal

sethxs06

Its around 130 stock. I would also be putting i/h/e along with underdrive crank pulley and overdrive alternator pulley. I think I should be able to get 20-30 hp outta new pistons? Or is that too high of a goal out of just pistons?

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Everyone will tell you if you want to keep a N/A D-series, to swap or boost.

Swap or Boost.

You can piece a turbo together for cheap, it just won't be very reliable for high boost apps.

sethxs06

K guys I'm looking for NA help. If your only advice is to go b series or boost, don't post anything. Thanks

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K guys I'm looking for NA help. If your only advice is to go b series or boost, don't post anything. Thanks
i'v bilt an A D series before, however it wasnt a d15. I highly suggest, if this is really what you want to do, get a z6 block.

How you are going to do it cheap though, im not sure. I will gladly help you out as much as possible though man

sethxs06

i'v bilt an A D series before, however it wasnt a d15. I highly suggest, if this is really what you want to do, get a z6 block.

How you are going to do it cheap though, im not sure. I will gladly help you out as much as possible though man
Thank you. Someone willing to help. Are the bore of the d15 and d16 different? I thot a 1.6 was just a slightly stroked 1.5? And what pistons did you use when you built your d series?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want to build a d series to make decent power N/A, its going to cost quite a bit

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank you. Someone willing to help. Are the bore of the d15 and d16 different? I thot a 1.6 was just a slightly stroked 1.5? And what pistons did you use when you built your d series?
i used je pistons. standard bore 10.5: compression

milanoej1

5+ Year Member
id swap...ur guna invest the cost of a swap into a na sohc to make as much power as a stock bseries...jus alil fyi..isay vitaria pistons and a good t28 or something

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id swap...ur guna invest the cost of a swap into a na sohc to make as much power as a stock bseries...jus alil fyi..isay vitaria pistons and a good t28 or something
160-170 bhp on a sohc really isnt that hard, and its not going to cost what a swap does

haroe69

im doing the same, just all different lol, my first attempt was a D15B8 block with a z6 head, but as you know NA engines make power by compression, so now im doing a Z6 block so i know it will handle VTEC without a hitch, and a slightly ported Y8 head (ported my self with a dremel), next imma get ZC pistons and a thinner head gasket, ive been told ZC slugs and a thin HG i will leave me at a 12:1 compression though they may have been wrong. but i do know ZC pistons arent too expensive and are dome shaped, i was also told i would be making 150-160 at the crank more with bolt ons later and a tune. i got the Z6 engine for $200, and the Y8 head for $100, i hear you can get the pistons for another $200 and head gasket for $70 all in all i just need the pistons and head gasket... hope i helped