Si's bubbling clear coat

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATE: Si's bubbling clear coat

UPDATE: went ahead and cleaned corrosion off and tried blending in with rest of rim. Blends better in person, not a perfect repair but for the time being i'm happier when looking at my car. After winter i might decide to polish them (all four wheels are like this), we'll see.

Before

After

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks bad, id strip em all,

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ what R3dline said.....if not it will look funny. You should be able to just strip them and have em cleared again and look fine

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you know how much it'd cost me roughly if i had someone do that?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any tips on getting that corrosion off and prepped for paint? Not sure if they're sprayed a silver color or just clear coated

Cyclone35

I would strip and sand them and polish them it's a long process but it would be worth it I did my fat fives and they came out clean

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does polishing them protect against corrosion like a clear coat does?

Cyclone35

Yeah and no it depends how good you take care of them I use a power ball and meguiars polish which leaves a protective coating it lasts about a week or two but it works good it's been raining over here and all I have to do Is get a damp rag and wipe off the water marks but no corrosion yet I polish mine every 2-3 weeks or so

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah and no it depends how good you take care of them I use a power ball and meguiars polish which leaves a protective coating it lasts about a week or two but it works good it's been raining over here and all I have to do Is get a damp rag and wipe off the water marks but no corrosion yet I polish mine every 2-3 weeks or so
why not just clear coat them?

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I may be wrong, but don't you get a better shine with a quality polish and no clear coat? If your polishing every two or three weeks, don't even worry with clear coating, right?

Cyclone35

I may be wrong, but don't you get a better shine with a quality polish and no clear coat? If your polishing every two or three weeks, don't even worry with clear coating, right?
yeah you sure do the more they get polished the better they look and it takes about 4 hours a rim to make them look like mine spraying clear coat would just defeat the purpose of even polishing them And spending all that time doing it plus the clear coat will take almost all the shine away

lownslow

5+ Year Member
polish them and they are easy to maintain with a powerball and some meguiars mag and aluminum polish. They look like candy shined up and shine 1000x better than clear...if done properly they look chrome.