Skunk2 short-throw shifter reviews?

N/A D-Series

Banned
I recently bought a Skunk2 short-throw shifter and installed it into my car. Me being new to short-throws, once I was done with the install, I felt the shifter and it felt like it was nailed 50x times to a wall. It would barely budge. Now, being 3 days later, its a little easier to control. Is that normal at first? I installed new energy suspension bushings beforeI re-assembled everything back together as well. Stupid me put the shifter in backwards also...:lol:. The shifter now sits farther away that I had hoped. Not a big problem, but annoying sometimes. Let me know what you guys think about it.

Redwing24

Proud owner of a 99tegls
5+ Year Member
I would turn it back around for sure. thats the first thing. But your new bushings are harder than the stock rubber ones so it will take a bit of driving to break them in. Mines was about a week of driving before it got easier. Just don't grind the gears and you'll be fine.

Bouli

Banned
5+ Year Member
You just installed the bolt to tight, that's why it was so difficult to shift.

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After installation mine was easy to shift right away

AlanZ

5+ Year Member
The bolt that goes across at the bottom is too tight. I made this mistake when I just installed mine last week. Make sure it has a locking nut on it (nylon inside) or put a little bit of locktite if nothing else (not the red stuff, that's permanent) and loosen it up a little. It will make WORLDS of difference.

Good luck :P

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
I recently bought a Skunk2 short-throw shifter and installed it into my car. Me being new to short-throws, once I was done with the install, I felt the shifter and it felt like it was nailed 50x times to a wall. It would barely budge. Now, being 3 days later, its a little easier to control. Is that normal at first? I installed new energy suspension bushings beforeI re-assembled everything back together as well. Stupid me put the shifter in backwards also...:lol:. The shifter now sits farther away that I had hoped. Not a big problem, but annoying sometimes. Let me know what you guys think about it.
How long did it take to install the shifter? Also, is it difficult to install. I am fairly new to car stuff but I work as a maintenance mechanic on production equipment so I feel capable of handling most of the work that comes with modding a car. More specifically, do you have to get into the transmission to install it. something like that would make me second guess doing it myself. thanks

wfw12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there is a write up in the how to section for it. its super easy, no transmission work at all

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You just messed up the install, fix that and you'll enjoy it.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
S2 weighted shift knob + S2 dual bend SS + energy bushings = sexy shifting!

If everything is installed right, your gonna notice a difference. the shifts are going to be stiffer for about the first 50 miles as that bushings get broken in. after that it isnt so bad. you get used to it

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Single bend makes the shifter closer to the dash. Dual bend makes the shifter closer to the driver.