slow and terrible gas milage!! what to do?

squidmaster

pen0r squid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So recently (ever since I got back from Japan at least) my EK hatch has been SLOOOOW and getting about 14-16mpg when it used to get about 30-32mpg. It drones out in the lower RPMs (anything below 2200) and it feels like it is pressing on the breaks because the car almost comes to a stop. It keeps droning out.

Mods:
I/H/E and coilovers and yes my ECU was reset after intake and exhaust and header. I never got the bad gas mileage when I put all the mods on, just now for some reason.

Car has 103k original miles on it, if that makes any difference.

Things I did to try and fix it:
new spark plugs
adjust the ebrake (thought it might be that since my ebrake light is ALWAYS on. so I basically removed all tension on the lines)

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, or a electical problem like a ground cable loose or broken.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe you need a new O2 sensor? When they go bad, your gas mileage goes belly up.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
that too...

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are the brakes actually binding up?

squidmaster

pen0r squid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, or a electical problem like a ground cable loose or broken.
Maybe you need a new O2 sensor? When they go bad, your gas mileage goes belly up.
Both great ideas! I don't have off work again until Friday or Sunday so I'll have to check it then.
Are the brakes actually binding up?
When I put it in neutral it cruises just fine
no resistance, so I don't believe it's that.

squidmaster

pen0r squid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK so I checked all of the O2 sensors, they are fine, connected and properly installed.
Ground cables are fine.
I am thinking, I was T-Boned in my rear drivers side panel, you know, right where the gas tank is, so maybe it was damaged and gas is evaporating or something...... hmm... I need to get it fixed still. I guess I'll just keep driving the FG2 with no A/C arg.

squidmaster

pen0r squid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
still have the problem.
hitting up a junkyard to get a non veetack OB1 ECU and conversion from All Version and then get it tuned (again by All Version)

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how long were you in japan? and if it was for a while did you store your car correctly?

slvercvc

5+ Year Member
did you leave it with fuel in your tank? if you dont move the car for a while, the sediment in the gas will settle and mess up your fuel injection and pull the plug on your power.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so it wont rev past 2200?

My friends car was doing the same, and she was getting shitty gas mileage (94 coupe, jdm b16 swap), couldnt figure it out... turned out to be a plugged cat.

Just throwing out an idea.

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so it wont rev past 2200?

My friends car was doing the same, and she was getting shitty gas mileage (94 coupe, jdm b16 swap), couldnt figure it out... turned out to be a plugged cat.

Just throwing out an idea.
That's a good idea too. I was thinking that the phenomenon of sediment settling in the tank to cause problems took a little longer than 2.5 months to really be an issue. But of course I could easily be wrong.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oldish thread, I know. Another thing to check is your air temperature sensor. If it's not right it can affect mileage and performance. Just something I learned in class tonight. Good Luck figurin it out.