Smell gas on start up, 2019 Civic Sport

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You should not have any fuel odors at all. This would indicate either unburn gas from the exhaust or a fuel leak elsewhere. If you are getting fuel fumes INSIDE the cabin you need to have the car towed to the dealer and have them inspect your vehicle. Being a 2019 it may still be under the factor 3 year 36000 miles warranty.

This can also happen from a faulty emissions check valve as well. Emissions systems components are generally covered for 100,000 miles or 10 years. Check your owners manual or simply just take it to the dealer.

EJH

Thanks so much nd4sped. It is in the shop today! I bought this pre-owned car last November with a 5yr/100,000mile Dealer warranty on engine, transmission, final drive assembly. However, the service manager said that this does not cover fluid such as fuel or oil. That puzzles me since both fuel and oil run through the engine???

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Fuel is NOT a factory component of the powertrain or drivetrain. Oil is considered wear and tear as oil breaks down over time and is accelerated with long periods of excessive heat. That is why engine oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze/coolant, differential fluid, tire rotations, tire replacements, and more, as well as adding fuel to your fuel tank is all the responsibility of the owner as preventive maintenance.

Make sure you read the fine print when purchasing third part warranties. There are typically several exclusions and depending on driving conditions and habits (excessive speed/abuse) will enable 3rd party warranty companies to deny repair claims that should be under warranty. I know from first hand experience unfortunately.

EJH

You should not have any fuel odors at all. This would indicate either unburn gas from the exhaust or a fuel leak elsewhere. If you are getting fuel fumes INSIDE the cabin you need to have the car towed to the dealer and have them inspect your vehicle. Being a 2019 it may still be under the factor 3 year 36000 miles warranty.

This can also happen from a faulty emissions check valve as well. Emissions systems components are generally covered for 100,000 miles or 10 years. Check your owners manual or simply just take it to the dealer.

EJH

Thanks again nd4sped. The dealer did not detect a fuel odor on cold start, nor did they notice any odor on cold start-up. They checked the fuel lines and system, finding no issues. Found no TSB's for fuel issues. Suggested the odor may be from cold start in colder weather due to engine running rich on start-up; or maybe some exhaust coming in thru vents depending on wind direction. Prior to picking the car up, I took a wafted smell test of the gas in my snowthrower gas container and it did not smell the same as the odor I noticed on start-up. So whatever it may be it is not likely to be fuel. But is likely to be my in-experience identifying odors.

HOWEVER, while visiting the dealer for this issue, I spied a pre-owned 2019 Civic Sedan EXL, took a test drive and am trading in my Sport for the EXL. Appreciate you guidance during my learning curve.