Smoke (blue) at start up.

Hondaman4ever

Hi all.

So I'm back again with another question. Have had my latest Civic (a '98) for about 5 months now and lately I'm noticing some smoke (like oil smoke, not water) from the exhaust at start up in the morning. Now, this has only happened 3 times and only in the past 2 weeks. From what I've read so far, this is most likely a valve stem seal problem. Assuming that it is, is there something (like an additive) I can use to clean them? If not, is this a costly job to get a mechanic to do it?

Thank you.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go on youtube and look up scotty kilmer, he has videos for everything, and even questions and answers..best mechanic ever..

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not a matter of cleaning them, it's a matter of replacing them. Cleaning won't do you any good if they are worn and leaking.

Hondaman4ever

Thanks for the link, CRX. I didn't see a video for the problem I'm having but I'm liking the videos by Scotty and found them interesting and informative.

Lethal, yeah I realize the seals need to be replaced but I was hoping maybe there's a way to try something that might clean them since the problem isn't bad at this time.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the link, CRX. I didn't see a video for the problem I'm having but I'm liking the videos by Scotty and found them interesting and informative.

Lethal, yeah I realize the seals need to be replaced but I was hoping maybe there's a way to try something that might clean them since the problem isn't bad at this time.
It's not that they're dirty, it's that they're starting to wear. Putting a ripped T-shirt through the washer won't fix the rip... same situation here ;)

Hondaman4ever

Thanks for the reply, Xploder. They're not really bothering me much since the smoke only happens once in a while but I'd like to change them at some point but here (Canada) they're asking for about $230 US, which is outrageous IMO. I've seen a couple of videos on Youtube and in one of the videos one guy made it look like it wasn't a big job at all (he changed them with the head on). I'm not a mechanic unfortunately -although I took some courses many many years ago- but I like to work on cars if I can and I'm wondering if this would be covered in Hayne's Repair Manual.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$230 is nothing for the scope of the job. Not something for someone that doesn't work on cars though. Not quickly anyway. Keep in mind that when people know what they are doing and do it well, they can falsely make something loo much easier than it is.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk