smoking at idle

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also, i retract any previous statements about burning oil (other than in vtec)...i duno what i was thinking. ive been checking my oil for the past couple weeks now and its all good

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what if my head gasket is just slightly wore and not too close to being blown, would the leak down test still show?

even though its white smoke? what makes you believe is the valve stem seals? no doubting you im just curious.

oh and my friend told me tonight at idle there is a slight blue tint to the white smoke
if you are burning white smoke you are burning oil. a rich fuel mixture tends to push out a dark black very smelly and distinguishable smoke/smell.

valve stem seals are rubber seals that fit around the stem of the valve to keep oil out of the combustion chamber. when the car sits with bad valve stem seals the oil can work its way down the valve stem and coat the valve in a bit of oil which mixes with the intake charge and blows smoke. simply, bad seals allow oil to get into the engine during warmup or heavy load operation.

if you can warm your car up to operating temperature and the amount of smoke decreases, its probably your valve stem seals, i would put money on it.

if you warm up your car and the smoke remains constant, or gets worse, you might have a leak between the oil passage and a combustion chamber in the motor, which i think is a bit less likely.

how many miles does your head have on it? bad valve stems are very common on high-mileage heads.

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea that makes sense...

the motor(b18c) has prolly around 65,000-70,000 miles on the motor. the guy i got the motor from ran the piss out of it i think

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know it's a old thread but, white smoke is burning coolant, bluish/black is oil and smelly black is rich a/f.

B18cbubble

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know it's a old thread but, white smoke is burning coolant, bluish/black is oil and smelly black is rich a/f.
it may be old but his problem still persists, so thanks for the help. so if his compression is good, doesn't burn oil, but burns coolant...is that a head gasket going bad?

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what if my head gasket is just slightly wore and not too close to being blown, would the leak down test still show?

even though its white smoke? what makes you believe is the valve stem seals? no doubting you im just curious.

oh and my friend told me tonight at idle there is a slight blue tint to the white smoke

it will tell you valves or rings, so if there both good it must be a HG,

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it may be old but his problem still persists, so thanks for the help. so if his compression is good, doesn't burn oil, but burns coolant...is that a head gasket going bad?
It could be that there's a small bit of head lift.