smooth ride

559sixthgen

Hello everyone, I am new to this so bare with me. I recently bought a 6th gen ex coupe. I was looking for something newer but ended up getting this one because it had very low miles, decent interior ect. Well anyways. I would like to know what are some good brand coilovers to smooth out the ride. I plan on changing out the tires soon, but what else would i need to do. I don't want to lower the car. I just want it to ride smooth and quiet. Since my budget was 7000 when i was buying a car, and got this one for 2700, i have a little bit of financial freedom to spend for better quality parts. Though i would like not too spend too much, since i havnt owned a car before and would like to put money away for future problems that might occur with this car. Thank you!!!!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To be flat out honest, if you are talking adjustable coil overs, they aren't going to give you a smooth ride in any way. There are ones that ride better than others, but they are performance suspension and are built as such. If you are talking about the strut/spring combo that is on there factory, then you aren't going to get much "smoother" than that unless you go with a bag system. For that you are looking for ~$2500 for a full kit that is automatically maintained. That isn't installed.

What I would recommend, if you aren't going to lower the car, just go with a kit that is OEM or better quality and freshen up the suspension. Google would be a good place to start for reviews on different brands that are OEM quality and when you find what you are looking for, clubcivic has a store link right at the top. I can't really recommend any brands because lowering my vehicles is always the first thing I do unless it is 4x4 obviously. I am sure someone will chime in though.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you have OEM suspension, it should already be quiet and smooth. It's not a Cadillac, so don't expect to be riding on a cloud. If it's not smooth, have a shop look at it as there may just be an issue with what you have now. If there is an issue and they need replacing, replace with OEM shocks / springs. If they mention worn bushings, pay a little extra for some Energy Suspension ones.

Also, if you have any wheels other than stock it's going to change how your ride feels, and how it sounds. Uneven tires can also do this.

Since you don't plan on lowering it, I would keep it stock. Coilovers are really meant for either slamming your ride, or to improve your handling - both of which will do the opposite of what you want, making it a less comfortable ride.

559sixthgen

thanks for the reply. I dont have stock wheels i actually have the acura star rims but i plan on buying steelies and putting hub caps. I suppose going for the stock suspension is something i will probably be doing soon.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why are you opposed to any amount of drop? Having a reasonable budget but only wanting stock equivalent upgrades is not exactly a common desire we come across on this forum. Keep in mind that purchasing factory struts & springs will cost more than many reasonable upgrades with a small drop.

559sixthgen

Why are you opposed to any amount of drop? Having a reasonable budget but only wanting stock equivalent upgrades is not exactly a common desire we come across on this forum. Keep in mind that purchasing factory struts & springs will cost more than many reasonable upgrades with a small drop.
i dont mind some drop really, i just really want a good quality ride, every car i have been in that has been lowered feels rough

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
because people who lower cars expect a sporty ride. Most often not sporty enough.

If you want a car to ride like a cadillac, then you need to buy a cadillac. you have an economy car sir. You get what you pay for.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont mind some drop really, i just really want a good quality ride, every car i have been in that has been lowered feels rough
Keep in mind the majority of lowered cars are done so poorly such as by using cut springs, generic crappy parts, lowering springs on non lowering shocks, stock springs on lowering shocks, etc. I suggest you look into Tein H.tech springs (just an inch drop) and Koni str.t struts. That combo will give you a very comfortable ride with a mild drop and great reliability.

559sixthgen

because people who lower cars expect a sporty ride. Most often not sporty enough.

If you want a car to ride like a cadillac, then you need to buy a cadillac. you have an economy car sir. You get what you pay for.
I understand i wont get a super smooth ride and im not expecting that, I just want the ride to feel like it did when it came out the line. I know thats probably hard too. I am currently needing new coilovers because my car makes noises when simply driving over bumps. I do realize i bought a 2700 dollar car so im not oblivious to that reality.

Keep in mind the majority of lowered cars are done so poorly such as by using cut springs, generic crappy parts, lowering springs on non lowering shocks, stock springs on lowering shocks, etc. I suggest you look into Tein H.tech springs (just an inch drop) and Koni str.t struts. That combo will give you a very comfortable ride with a mild drop and great reliability.
Thank You! I will definitely look in to that. I do plan on having them professionally install btw. I just hope they actually sell the parts in store!

Last edited by a moderator:

MyLittleTeg

Definitely go lowering springs over coils if you want a better ride. You compromise your luxury when you go rollovers (I'm running coils at the moment and it rides like a go cart compared to my Integra sitting on eibach lowering springs)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank You! I will definitely look in to that. I do plan on having them professionally install btw. I just hope they actually sell the parts in store!
Thats highly unlikely and even if a shop has them in stock itll cost alot more than just ordering the parts online.