Snap-On Or Mac???

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
Alright mechanics I want your opinions. Recently went back to school doing an auto tech program. I've decided to invest a good chunk of change into a nice tool set. Also the discounts are awesome while im in school. I keep going back and fourth on these two companys. Just wanted to see what you guys thought and used. How are they with warrantys and so on. Thanks as always guys!!

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Obviously, tools are expensive. I believe you get what you pay for. I still use Craftsman tools alot, one because I haven't had any issues with them, and two I'm not ready to spend $200 on a 3/8 ratchet. That's just an example, but you get the idea. Both companies have good products. I personally think Mac has some "cheapy" things they sell, but I guess everyone does. I would say if I were in your position, if you're getting a bunch of tools, for a good deal, with a warranty, I would go Snap-On. I don't personally have much but I've used alot of Snap-On tools and I've always liked them.
In my position where I never had an opportunity to buy a large amount of tools for a discount price, I have to buy everything individually. I'm also good friends with the local Mac guy, so I usually buy most of my stuff off him. He usually takes care of me, and I can count on him if something would happen (if something breaks, etc). The Snap-On guy on the other hand is super unorganized, and a d**k head so I choose not to buy off him, unless its something I really need.
Hope some of this helps. I've only been a technician for about a year and a half. I'm sure theres others on here with more experience and advice.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im a snap on guy but for the exact same reason but slightly different as Matt.The snap on truck comes to my dealership and i get to buy whatever i can afford or he can order it for me at least. there is no mac truck or store anywhere near my shop within probably 6 hours or so, so it wouldnt make any sense to buy mac and try to get warranty and not build a rapport with My snap on guy. He is local and awesome too. Although for air tools i will only buy Ingersoll-rand. IMO you cant beat them.

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
Cool thanks man! Yea actually the Mac rep has been so helpful vs no help from Snap-on im kinda leaning towards Mac. Plus Macs sets they offer just seem to give you way more tools for the money. On the other hand everyone always has good things to say about Snap-on. As for Craftsman, I work part time in hardware at Sears and Craftsman seems to keep going further and further down hill and slowly getting away from the lifetime warranty one tool at a time. Thanks for your opinion man!!!!

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Cool thanks man! Yea actually the Mac rep has been so helpful vs no help from Snap-on im kinda leaning towards Mac. Plus Macs sets they offer just seem to give you way more tools for the money. On the other hand everyone always has good things to say about Snap-on. As for Craftsman, I work part time in hardware at Sears and Craftsman seems to keep going further and further down hill and slowly getting away from the lifetime warranty one tool at a time. Thanks for your opinion man!!!!
Regarding Craftsman, any idea how their Professional line compares to their store shelf line?

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
We have the pro line in store. Not as much of that comes back they just keep retracting the warranty one tool at a time. I get to listen to people b***h at me everyday like I did it lol.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I managed to break a snap-on breaker bar... just saying.

GC11090

5+ Year Member
For ratchets, snap on dual 80 all the way. I have used about every ratchet on earth and these are worth every penny. Most of the other tools are about on the same level, but snap on ratchets are out of this world. I literally own about 30 ratchets, and it is very rare to see me using any one besides the snap on dual 80 series. As far as sockets, wrenches, extensions, etc, I have a combo of snap on, mac, matco, gearwrench, and many others. The snap on and mac are both heads over everything else, and all around good tools. Here is a link for the dual 80 ratchets.

http://www.snapon.com/dual80/

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i prefer gearwrench, snap-on, and matco, iv had alot of problems with mac stuff, seems to me its far cheaper quality than the ones iv listed, iv broke 3 impacts, and 4 ratchets all we mac, so i ended my bond with mac tools

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
Intresting. Thats actually the first bad thing I've heard so far about Mac. I think im going to stick with Ingersol for my impacts anyway. Kind of ironic after I posted this the Snap-On rep was in the shop at school last night. They have some real nice stuff and im sure im going to end up with some down the road but the programs being offered the Mac program allows me to get far more tools and tool box for my money. There are def a few specialty Snap-on tools on my list. Thanks guys!!!!

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ratchets, sockets, and wrenches from snap on. other things from mac, matco, etc

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have a craftsman and so far so good i only wrenched on weekends if there's something wrong with the cars. i'm happy with craftsman so far but i wouldn't mind having a snap on tools lol

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have a craftsman and so far so good i only wrenched on weekends if there's something wrong with the cars. i'm happy with craftsman so far but i wouldn't mind having a snap on tools lol
there is nothing wrong with craftsman if you are a weekend warrior, but if you work with tools day in and day out, i prefer the ones i listed, just by my experience . but nothing wrong with craftsman at all

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i got a vocational school discount back in the day on a set of matco tools and have stuck with them ever since. never had a problem, and the matco truck used to come by my work which was a plus. never saw any snap-on or mac trucks in the area even.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Both are outstanding tools, it really depends on how much money you dont mind spending. However I still find myself buying Craftsman mainly due to the low cost and that I can drive to the local Sears to replace a tool. You cant do that with your local dealer for Snap-On, Matco, Mac, etc, you always have to wait for that day that they come around.

I have very few tools from these other companies because of their cost but I have yet to break one. I have broken numerous ratchets from Craftsman. IMO their quality on ratchets is absolute s**t. Their tools are no longer USA made either.

Eventually one day i will invest more into Matco or Mac. Snap On offers the same tools as the other retailers but at an extra cost.

Also if you do by from Snap-On, buy their Blue Point tools, they are excellent. I have a wrench set from Blue Point and if you break one of their tools and the dealer doesn't have one in stock they have to replace it with a Snap On equivalent.

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
Yea working part time at Sears I bet I rebuild ten to fifteen ratchets a day. There terrible! The pro line ratchets are slighty better but if you bring it in to be rebuilt they will put the standard series gears in them. Sears sucks!!

afoss

5+ Year Member
I would get all your normal tools craftsman then for your specialty tools get snapon

Black96EXNC

SOHC EJ8
I have my order finished up. Im going with Mac. Im getting there master sets 1-8 plus the 19 drawer tech series box top and bottom. Pretty stoked to get my tools!!
:lol:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My friend swears by Snap-On. Yeah their stuff is more expensive but he works on fire trucks every day so he's constantly beating the crap out his tools wrenching on everything. They have a Snap-On truck that stops by every now and then and he (I think) gets a discount..? But either way, he swears by it.

I use Craftsman for the dozen times a year I actually use my tools on cars and what not and can't complain.