snapping axles

civicturbo91

professional bitchslapper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive havent been on the site for while but recent problems have lead me back for answers. recently installed a stage 2 clutch and 8lb flywheel on my EJ8. as soon as i pulled out of the shop my axle was chirping/clicking etc as i was going down the road. my drivers side axle was snapped so i replaced both driver and passenger side. as soon as i left the shop the same thing happened again. i cant figure out why.
the car is slammed and i am still in the break in period for my clutch (not even 50 miles in) so i havent been driving hard at all.

CLIFF NOTES:

new stage 2 clutch and 8lb flywheel

snapped 2 drivers side axles in 2 days

why?

thanks alot

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How slammed is it? you may have it too slammed and it may be binding? also the passenger side axel normaly breaks before the drivers side. look at the brake and see if it is sticking.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats really strange! i hope you find an answer to the problem quick! where did the axles snap at specifically?

aznsk8rboii

A Fiend
5+ Year Member
o.O has somebody snappeed more axles in a shorter period of time than me?
i was beating the piss out of my car before it happened.

be careful, when mine snapped it put a whole in my transmission (my beloved si tranny)
had to get a regular tranny after that and my hb was never the same.

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats really strange! i hope you find an answer to the problem quick! where did the axles snap at specifically?
the first one snapped inside the rubber housing on the actual joint closest to the tranny.

havent taken off the other yet. probably today. i do have a lifetime warrenty on the axles though so at least im not buying more.

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How slammed is it? you may have it too slammed and it may be binding? also the passenger side axel normaly breaks before the drivers side. look at the brake and see if it is sticking.
look at the brake? you lost me. sorry. could you elaborate plz?

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How slammed is it? you may have it too slammed and it may be binding?
:word:

And you also may want to look at the transmission mounts as well, the tranny might not be sitting where it's supposed to be which can cause strain on the axle.

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:word:

And you also may want to look at the transmission mounts as well, the tranny might not be sitting where it's supposed to be which can cause strain on the axle.
good point. like i said we installed a new clutch and we did it in 5 or 6 hours because i had somewhere to be so it was a little bit of a rush job. ill def check that out tomorrow when i go to install yet another new axle. thanks

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it was my VTAK. when it kicked in it just snapped the axle. you know, new clutch and all.

no actually i forgot to put the back bolt on the flywheel shield so it was resting on the axle and clicking as the axle turned. i actually did break the first axle but the second wasnt broken like i thought.

thanks for the input guys