Snow Condition Suggestions

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I own a slightly lowered '97 Civic coupe (click on signature) and I'll be moving to Kentucky from Florida. Never previously experiencing snow or ice with any regularity, the Civic seems ill equipped for such conditions even with snow tires. As such I've been considering potentially purchasing a circa-2000's model S10, Sonoma or Tacoma as a 2nd car for such conditions. My reasons for those 3 selections are a desire for relative efficiency, inexpensive repair, modest comfort, ability to modestly handle more harsh conditions, and low cost. Whether or not I purchase a truck, I do intend on heavily undercoating the Civic to be on the safe side since it has no rust underneath. Your experienced suggestions for the Civic or regarding a 2nd vehicle will be greatly appreciated.

Admins, I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong section. I'm not certain what this qualifies under.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What part of KY? I drove a lowered EJ8 for 7 years in the snow in Cincinnati with very few issues. Nothing where I was ever trapped or an accident with.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What part of KY? I drove a lowered EJ8 for 7 years in the snow in Cincinnati with very few issues. Nothing where I was ever trapped or an accident with.
Louisville. Ive been told it hasnt snowed heavily there in over 5 years, but I rather be safe than sorry.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
IMO you could undercoat it but for the little bit of snow you would actually get I don't see a point in it. Just get a winter beater for when it snows.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The front end of my car is about a pop can in height from the ground and I live in Columbus Ohio and haven't raised it up in years. We got a foot and a half of snow and I just plowed the roads lol. Don't be scared its only snow.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The front end of my car is about a pop can in height from the ground and I live in Columbus Ohio and haven't raised it up in years. We got a foot and a half of snow and I just plowed the roads lol. Don't be scared its only snow.
Since Ive never experienced living or driving in snow, I figured getting as many opinions from those who live in such conditions is where I should start before making any decisions. As far as I can tell, snow tires are the only must-have so far. Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming!

slowDB7

I've run my civic in NY winters, made it all winter with just snows....if you want more traction is suggest studded snows but idk Kentucky's rules on studded snow tires

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
All you need is a good set of All Seasons

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My little pick up was a pain in the ass to drive in the snow. My civic felt like it was built for it. Not fast enough to get you into trouble taking off and light enough not to become too much of a wrecking ball when it started sliding. The pick up was rear wheel drive which is terrible to drive in the snow with IMHO and was waaaaayyyy to light in the back end. It would constantly start to slide sideways when down shifting while slowing down.

In conclusion, your civic is going to be a hell of a lot better than a little pick up unless you get some 4x4 beast of a truck even then the back would need to have sand bags or something in it to make it heavier back there.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My little pick up was a pain in the ass to drive in the snow. My civic felt like it was built for it. Not fast enough to get you into trouble taking off and light enough not to become too much of a wrecking ball when it started sliding. The pick up was rear wheel drive which is terrible to drive in the snow with IMHO and was waaaaayyyy to light in the back end. It would constantly start to slide sideways when down shifting while slowing down.

In conclusion, your civic is going to be a hell of a lot better than a little pick up unless you get some 4x4 beast of a truck even then the back would need to have sand bags or something in it to make it heavier back there.
Well, thats a positive response I didnt expect to hear.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
drove my civic in the snow here in TN and had zero issues with A/S tires. as long as you pay attention to the road and the car you will be fine.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you ever want to keep your car flawless, the BEST modification you can do is to get a second daily. Plain and simple, old blazer 4x4's are inexpensive and a blast in the snow! Or an early Subaru, possible an estate if you want to carry stuff around. They are excellent. I had an 89 Subaru loyal for a while, it was an absolute CHAMP in winter.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Second daily is a double negative. If you have a car that is your "daily" your other car can't be a daily as well. At least not by yourself, unless you drive it half the day and the other car the other half... :shock:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pfffft no such thing as a second daily =) daily driven or nothin
Haha I'm just starting to see the wear and tear on my hatch, so I empathize with him lol
Second daily is a double negative. If you have a car that is your "daily" your other car can't be a daily as well. At least not by yourself, unless you drive it half the day and the other car the other half... :shock:
Okay my bad, "second car to daily". Y'all knew what I meant. :rolf:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fwd is the next best thing for the snow if you dont have 4x4 or awd, i have driven my slammed 96 civic for two winters now with no major problems. definitely want a set of studded snow tires up front if your driving up any moderate hills but if you can get a set of 4 tires that would be the best. the main thing that will mess your car up during winter is gravel, sand, or salt ( dont use salt in CA) you will get a lot of rock chips in your front end so maybe get that clear protective laminx or what ever its call to protect from rock chips.

carry a tow strap with you at least, alot of people are willing to drag you out of a ditch or what ever but not everyone has what they need to help you. i have been stuck high centered on 2.5 inches of snow in the center suicide lane trying to cut across the road to the gas station, so if you dont think you can make it take the long way to where ever your going.

main thing you have to worry about is the plow trucks and their schedules, for the most part the roads are plowed good at 5am when i go to work but one morning i woke up there was a foot of snow on the main road so i couldnt even get out of my garage to the road, make sure you have a backup vehicle or a friend to give you a ride. the civic will do great until there is to much snow for the height of the car, ive had the front lower grill packed solid with snow flying up over the hood as i plowed about 2 inches out of the 5 off the top of the road

oh and carry a snow shovel with you, never know when you will need it. you get plowed in a lot or a huge berm blocking you from parking somewhere

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the tips so far, everyone. My first investment so far has been a snow scraper/brush. My next plan is to flush the radiator & put in 100% antifreeze instead of 50/50 mix as a friend suggested for the winter. Should I use any specific type or brand of antifreeze? Ive briefly read something about Honda brand antifreeze being better for aluminum engines but I prefer to hear from time-tested Honda owners.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I feel like you guys are making a big deal out of snow lol. It's really not that bad. The absolute best thing you can do is get a really good set of snow tires. All seasons are OK, but a good set of snow tires will definitely help keep you out of trouble. Best of all, they are relatively cheap.. Like someone mentioned, in a lot of cases a FWD car with snow tires could be just as good, probably in most cases better than some truck on garbage all seasons. Your car doesn't look very low so I really wouldn't worry about any ground clearance with it.

Aside from snow tires, the best thing to do is learn how to drive in the snow. Learn car control and learn how to be a VERY good defensive driver. People become stupid when snow falls...

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like people have mentioned, a good set of snow tires on some steel wheels will make a world of a difference and not break the bank either. I've been driving on blizzaks for 4 winters now and never have had any trouble even in the worst conditions.