So my 8th Gen is already in the shop...

EXTrevski

5+ Year Member
Another update.

I guess just replacing the immobilizer didn't work. They fully replaced the whole computer in the car and seem to have started at square one. He told me this morning that I would have the car back by the end of the night. I call tonight and he tells me they have to send my car in to have my odometer reset. I guess when they put the new computer in, it was set at 0 miles, when it should be at ~9,800. Because of this, the earliest I'm gonna get my car back is this coming Wednesday. That means the car has been in the shop for a total of two weeks for the same problem. One on a two day repair, and now this one, on a 12 day repair. I'm curious how much all the time/parts/labor would have cost me at this point if the car wasn't under warranty. Sounds like some expensive stuff they are doing.

Anyways, it just hasn't been a good month for my car it seems. My first Honda and it seems like it's been in the shop within the first year of owning it, then my Ford did during its lifetime.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well the ecu is over $1k, immobilizer i dont even wanna know. and thats strange the ecu stores the mileage. I'm gonna call bs on that one. on every civic upto 2005, the cluster has always stored the mileage, and no honda dealer has the ability to send it in to get reflashed. they just put a sticker in the door that says when it was changed, and the before/after mileage. and the ecu has nothing to do with the immobilizer. i mean it does, but with a new immobilizer, you reprogram it to match the ecu and ignition. I dont think they know what they're doing, and i bet when they're all done, the problem will still be there.

All they would have done in the end is replace new equipment with different new equipment. they didn't solve anything, nor can they. I think this is something that may have to be solved with an ecu reflash program, which isnt available yet.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EXTrevski said:
Another update.

I guess just replacing the immobilizer didn't work. They fully replaced the whole computer in the car and seem to have started at square one. He told me this morning that I would have the car back by the end of the night. I call tonight and he tells me they have to send my car in to have my odometer reset. I guess when they put the new computer in, it was set at 0 miles, when it should be at ~9,800. Because of this, the earliest I'm gonna get my car back is this coming Wednesday. That means the car has been in the shop for a total of two weeks for the same problem. One on a two day repair, and now this one, on a 12 day repair. I'm curious how much all the time/parts/labor would have cost me at this point if the car wasn't under warranty. Sounds like some expensive stuff they are doing.

Anyways, it just hasn't been a good month for my car it seems. My first Honda and it seems like it's been in the shop within the first year of owning it, then my Ford did during its lifetime.
Ecu's are really sensitive its not the engine its the stupid computers and s**t honda engines are solid.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ShinsenTuner said:
the transponder key s**t in new hondas piss me the f**k off... we had to get a remote starter for the pilot(it's a must, wont survive winter without it) and it took us like 7 tries to get it right and it's still wrong. The alarm basically does nothing now but the starter works great. LOL.
Pussy, you don't need remote starting. Jesus, you don't even KNOW what cold is.

EXTrevski

5+ Year Member
I don't know what to think about them. It seems it's just trial and error everytime I call and it's not getting me anywhere. If the problem is still there when I get the car back I'm gonna be livid, and will probably have to do whatever it takes to get the car declared a lemon.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EXTrevski said:
I don't know what to think about them. It seems it's just trial and error everytime I call and it's not getting me anywhere. If the problem is still there when I get the car back I'm gonna be livid, and will probably have to do whatever it takes to get the car declared a lemon.
Lemon Law means a bunch of s**t startsor keeps going wrong with the car.Unless any other problems occur they wont declare it a lemon.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Actually, if a SINGLE part has been fixed and keeps breaking, its considered a lemon the third time something happens. how many times have you taken it in for this problem? i think two right? so if they release it and it still has the problem, take it back for good and get a different car.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
gearbox said:
Actually, if a SINGLE part has been fixed and keeps breaking, its considered a lemon the third time something happens. how many times have you taken it in for this problem? i think two right? so if they release it and it still has the problem, take it back for good and get a different car.

first, make sure that your state has lemon laws... not all of them do.. mine for example... no smog, no usuary laws, no sales tax, and no lemon law

EXTrevski

5+ Year Member
Taken right from the back of the service papers:

"A buyer of this product in California has the right to have this product serviced or repaired during the warranty period. The warranty period will be extended for the humber of whole days that the product has been out of the buyer hands for warranty repairs. If a defect exists within the warranty period, the warranty will not expire until the defect has been fixed. The warranty period will also be extended if the warranty repairs have not been performed due to delays caused by circumstances beyond the control of the buyer, or if the warranty repairs do not remedy the defect and the buyer notifies the manufacturer or seller of the failure of the repairs within 60 days after they were completed. If, after a reasonable number of attempts, the defect has not been fixed, the buyer may return this product for a replacement or a refund subject, in either case, to deduction of a reasonable charge for usage. The time extension does not affect the protections or remedies the buyer has under other laws."

Now after reading online a little bit, a "reasonable number of attempts" is usually classified as the car going in 4 times or in the shop for 30 days within the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, for the same problem. Technically I have brought the car in twice. However, the papers that I have could be used to say I've had it in three times. When I went to pick up the car the second time I had brought it in, I signed all the papers to have them release it to me...but they couldn't get the car started, so I had to go through the repair paperwork again.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
EXTrevski said:
Taken right from the back of the service papers:

"A buyer of this product in California has this product serviced or repaired during the warranty period. The warranty period will be extended for the humber of whole days that the product has been out of the buyer hands for warranty repairs. If a defect exists within the warranty period, the warranty will not expire until the defect has been fixed. The warranty period will also be extended if the warranty repairs have not been performed due to delays caused by circumstances beyond the control of the buyer, or if the warranty repairs do not remedy the defect and the buyer notifies the manufacturer or seller of the failure of the repairs within 60 days after they were completed. If, after a reasonable number of attempts, the defect has not been fixed, the buyer may return this product for a replacement or a refund subject, in either case, to deduction of a reasonable charge for usage. The time extension does not affect the protections or remedies the buyer has under other laws."

Now after reading online a little bit, a "reasonable number of attempts" is usually classified as the car going in 4 times or in the shop for 30 days within the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, for the same problem. Technically I have brought the car in twice. However, the papers that I have could be used to say I've had it in three times. When I went to pick up the car the second time I had brought it in, I signed all the papers to have them release it to me...but they couldn't get the car started, so I had to go through the repair paperwork again.
so you might have a pretty good argument....

get rid of it and buy something with b00st :mrgreen:

EXTrevski

5+ Year Member
I think if it does come down to where it is declared a lemon...I will probably take my business elsewhere. They will have to give me all my money back less the "charge of usage" for my car now. I'll go buy a Mazda3 or a Tc like I was originally looking at.

I would go straight for an Si, but I can't afford the insurance. My last car was an SVT Focus which I absolutely LOVED, but the insurance on the sportier cars are more than I can afford and willing to pay. Plus the premium gas is a killer at this time, especially for how much I have to drive for school.

EXTrevski

5+ Year Member
Was supposed to get the car back today, but to no surprise I'm still driving the rental. They either had to order another part, or are still waiting on one, the guy didn't make it very clear. They said it should be ready tomorrow but we'll see.

15 days and counting.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay well keep the lemon thing in mind. i doubt it will get fixed.

EXTrevski

5+ Year Member
I FINALLY GOT THE CAR BACK!!! Just picked it up from the dealer after 15 days total.

It damn well better work now. Looks like they replaced the immobilizer, the ECM, as well as the tachometer. Anyone have any idea how much those parts cost + labor? Seems like it would be expensive.

I just pray I don't want to run into the problem again, otherwise i'd have to go ape-s**t on Honda.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ecm $1000+
immobilizer $500?
tach 300+
reprogram or new keys $100+
labor 250+

ya hopefully its fixed but you never know... i guess you'll find out.

TSW_WAYS

5+ Year Member
Well my girlfriends 06 ex is running fine, but the gas cap error keeps coming on.. not near as serious, just hope nothing major happens to it because we already have leather put in it, and don't want a recall. we're at almost 4k and growing fast so keepin fingers crossed. Had hondas for a while without major trouble, so i have faith.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ecm $1000+
immobilizer $500?
tach 300+
reprogram or new keys $100+
labor 250+

not having to pay a cent and getting a rental car .... priceless

EXTrevski

5+ Year Member
Car seems to be working just fine now. Whatever they did seemed to work, so I just hope I don't run into any more trouble.

What is kind of cool though, is when I gave them the car, I gave them three keys (Two with the keyless entry, and the one valet key). When I got the car back, they gave me 5 keys (Four keyless entry, and the one valet). I hear those keys are quite expensive to replace, so at least I now have more than one spare.