anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
fell off my car. yeah, that's right. i was pulling into a gas station when i heard a very rough noise coming from the bay (sounded like some scraping) so i turn off the engine and see wtf is up. well, i couldn't find out much right out, so i started the engine again to see if i could get closer to finding out the issue. well, so i started the engine and she ran (noisily) for a few seconds before a pulley spewed out the engine bay (it dropped onto the ground) and the noise was gone. i turn off my engine. checking closely, i noticed the following:

1) one of my belts is busted. it's breaking into 2 parallel strips. it's for the one at the very front, very bottom... water pump i think... also, there is much slack in this belt.
2) so maybe the pulley is a tensioner for this........
3) i may be able to limp my car home without overheating.

so i start her up and drive (very slowly) back to my apt, which was about a mile and a half away from where i was. so damn... i really dunno wtf to do about this. new belts and new pulley i suppose. somehow.

this sucks.

SiLent

SiLent
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Recommend replacing any belts that are damaged and making sure you have the right belt tension.

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn anfrey... do u ever have any good news? suerte hermano!

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jesus anf............

was it the tensioner that fell off or an actual pulley??

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ill take pics and u'll be able to see

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That almost looks like the tensioner pulley......... Ive never seen it off the tensioning aparatus however...... let me look it up to confirm.....

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
that's what i thought at a glance as well. seems to be for the cooling system. i'm gonna look in the service manual now

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont think it is the tensioner pulley...It almost looks like its the AC Compressor pulley.....

I can treally tell though.... I haven seen any good pix.. youre manual will be the best for that! =)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Looks like a tensioner pulley to me. :what: I can only say this because I sell alot of them. (None for Hondas so far though.)

The idler pulley as a refernece

Last edited:

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can't be the ac pulley, unless it came of the ac unit itself .... wich I doubt. And it isn't the PS pulley, because his s**t would have locked the hell up.

B16A2_CIVIC

Think. Feel. Drvie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont even know it..

im not sure i think it is the tensioner pulley...

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the idler pulley and tensioner pulley the same thing? I dont know :(

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
amelia is on the right track. seems to be the idler pulley. the following images from the service manual...

oh, and based on the diagrams .... it seems the a/c compressor belt is the one that's busted.

Last edited:

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
okay, so... after some semirational thinking... uhh... since my a/c fan is broken right now, i'm not using a/c... and since the belt is on its way out... and the pulley seems to be used only for the a/c system.... i could just cut the belt and not replace the pulley until a later time and still run fine, right?

seems... logical... to me...

so uhm... if i'm correct in all my assumptions and conclusions.... then... she should be safe to drive, right? if the a/c belt snaps while i'm driving, then the a/c would just not have any power, right? things should be fine... right? i need to get to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it depends what else runs off that belt really........ if its all 'dummy' pulleys on that belt then yes......

your A/C clutch probably just froze since it hasnt been used in a while...and SNAP!!!!

silvertuner98

Banned
yes anfrey if its only ur a/c belt u are fine to drive it. do u need me to come over and check that dayum thing out so u can be a little at ease lol. i cant believe ur luck with that car. i hate to say this to u but it may be time to throw it up in the "For Sale" section of The Star

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dang Anf, I'm sorry to hear about this. Your car just doesn't get it easy does it. :-( Best of luck on fixing your baby.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i have to go to work. right now. think i can make it safely?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'm heading out now. we'll see how it goes