SOHC d16y8 build!!

Ground0civic

rebuilding a d16y8 trying to gett as much power out off it as i can.no clue where to start ?? suggestions including turbos

EJulio

I am doing this same thing, except i have a Y7 block and a Y5 head(same thing as a Y8 other than intake mani). i know its really hard making any real power on an SOHC so i am going turbo. if you wanna build a motor properly you want to take it to a shop to have the block honed(or bored if you want bigger pistons) have the head ported(for better air flow) and then you want to order your parts which you might want to research to see which brands and types you want for your build. unless you are having the shop do all the labor on the motor, if they are a good reputable shop you can ask them all the questions you want and they will lead you in the right direction.

1999CivicEX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am doing this same thing, except i have a Y7 block and a Y5 head(same thing as a Y8 other than intake mani). i know its really hard making any real power on an SOHC so i am going turbo. if you wanna build a motor properly you want to take it to a shop to have the block honed(or bored if you want bigger pistons) have the head ported(for better air flow) and then you want to order your parts which you might want to research to see which brands and types you want for your build. unless you are having the shop do all the labor on the motor, if they are a good reputable shop you can ask them all the questions you want and they will lead you in the right direction.
really dont need to update bottom end unless your plan on going 10 lbs of boost (depending on the turbo and sea level your at.)

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you are going to build the bottom end with forged pistons and rods, do not have machine work done to the cylinders before you buy pistons. That is an absolute DONT. if you want to run them buy the pistons first then send them and the block to the machine shop. This will ensure the cylinders are bored/honed to the correct size.

Now as far as the y8 goes, its a good motor I had one in my del sol a couple years ago.

If you want to stay all motor, which will net you a little power, there are options.

1. Skunk2 or blox intake manifold
2. 62-66mm throttle body. (BBK, skunk2, Blox)
3. Injen or AEM intake
4. Header (DC sports or anything you can find depending on budget)
5. Full catback exhaust (2.5")
6. Bigger injectors (310-370cc)
7. Valvetrain |cam, springs, retainers| (Brian Crower, bisimoto, ect.)
8. Higher flow fuel pump (walbro, aeromotive, ect)
9. Hondata s300 or AEM ecu (then find a reputable tuner to work it to its max performanc

fanaticx

I agree with this guy ^ all but the throttle body and you will need a p28 ecu and an obd2 to obd1 jumper harness. good luck

Last edited: