sohc vtec questions

kdawg97ex

5+ Year Member
hey i got the d16y8 and i dont feel the vtec kick in at 5500 rpms is there a wire i can check to make sure its plugged in

MistorOrange

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kdawg97ex said:
hey i got the d16y8 and i dont feel the vtec kick in at 5500 rpms is there a wire i can check to make sure its plugged in
im not for sure what wire you would check, but a sohc vtec isn't exactly a punch of power to begin with.. any common mods on it yet i/h/e? or just stock.. if so its not gonna be extremly noteable soundwise, what i did when i had my sohc vtec, would wind out 2nd gear an you should hear it kick in, just pay attention closely you should hear it

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea, you really need to have an intake to be able to hear it kick in...you wont be able to feel it at all but with the intake you'll be able to hear it...you just have to really pay attention when listening for it.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have an sohc auto...and i can definitely hear and feel the vtec kick in...i have headers....exhuast..and cai....but you should definitely feel it.

Rubixcu7

Not Fittin In...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol it isnt exactly a huge power boost but the sound can be loud but not like a B,H,K

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well first off, you can go in there expecting much. Do you know what kinda sound you are even listening for?? Its not much on a single cam. On the b's its pretty noticeable, but you should just listen for it to sound almost the same as the rest of the rpm range, but with a little added "chatter" noise.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
u dont feel a kick on sohcs...all u hear are the valves opening up

with a more aggressive cam, cam gear, and valvetrain, ull be able to hear it more and feel it more. but stock-wise, sohc's are t3h suck :(

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe a CEL would come on if your VTEC wiring was unplugged

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first of all..on the y8...vtec doesn't come on until 5800....and your stock tachs off by about 200-220rpms.....so when the needle crosses 6000 then you should vtec til redline...and get a cai....you'll hear it....not so much feel....you get a vafc and you'll feel it....i have a y8 myself...and i didn't feel vtec at all ...until i got my vafc....now its comin on a 4200......and its all pull until 7000....