SOHC VTEC Turbo

D16Z6_Turbo

D16Z6_Turbo Charged
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Turbocharged D's are pretty quick! I used to have one and it took a B16 EG by 3 cars length...All i was using was a T25 turbo, intercooler, and FMU etc...I would suggest go for it....Less money for the HP...

riceburner69

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
97civicracer said:
why did i have to read this damn thread ....now i want a turbo D instead of b18....damn you guys...lol.....the only prob. is i need a new d-series....mine has like 90K miles...no bueno....is it true that d-series have better torque curves than b series....like ratios and s**t...that's what i heard anyways....fill me in

Yes its true, the D series motors do have slightly better mid range torque then the B series, they sacrifice it for High End power

Ninefivejiggaja

Milano Em1 Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
riceburner69 said:
Yes its true, the D series motors do have slightly better mid range torque then the B series, they sacrifice it for High End power
i agree with him

94civicsi

chino
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
guys a edlebrock turbo came out for both the d16z6 and d16y8 its called the open track kit at 15-20 psi u can produce about 290 hp not bad 4 a sohc vtec huh cuz i got a sohc vtec the d16z6 si and dats wat ima do

riceburner69

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
94civicsi said:
guys a edlebrock turbo came out for both the d16z6 and d16y8 its called the open track kit at 15-20 psi u can produce about 290 hp not bad 4 a sohc vtec huh cuz i got a sohc vtec the d16z6 si and dats wat ima do
the key word there is "Track" you would not wanna run 15-20 psi on ur stock D16 Daily Driver...that would drastically shorten the lifespan of ur motor. you have to build up the motor to run those kind of boost levels on that kit, some things you would need are: a programable ECU, Lo Comp pistions, connecting rods, head work and cams. The "Kit" does not come with them! u might have allready known that but just didnt mention it but either way by the time u spend all that money getting all tha crap u mine as well just get a b18 swap and put the Street Legal Kit on it... BTW the Track kit is basically the same thing as the Street kit minus the ECU, AKA the street kit is capable of way more boost then it runs out of the box, making it a great kit to start with and then build off of. I have a D16 as well and thats what im gonna do

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
islander27 said:
why dont ya go for a b16 or b18 swap? then slapped on some turbo ;)
:werd:

[singing}
Why oh why would you want a SOHC...Why oh why wouldnt you want a B!
[/singing]

SiGuy

CCHB Member #67
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just got a greddy kit, slapping it on my D

Mark7901

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGuy said:
i just got a greddy kit, slapping it on my D

GOOD! I should be pushing 300hp out of my D by next summer. Lots of work and $$!!!! But can't be as much as buying a B then turboing it...Ive already spent about $1500 on engine and management, and I will need to spend another 500-1000 for pistons and rods.....then comes the N02!!! This should bring me somewhere around 300, 10 pounds boost and a 55 shot wet kit. Also Ive been getting into tuning myself, burning roms, datalogging...its a lot of work....

...buy the way those greddy kits only use 6 psi right?

Good Luck!!!

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need f**kin' N02 to get 300 out of the D. :roll: (im a nitrous hater) do some more research

Mark7901

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
child_racer said:
you dont need f**kin' N02 to get 300 out of the D. :roll: (im a nitrous hater) do some more research

Need? I dont NEED any of it.....but I want it, So no need for research on this end..........

Let me ask you this, you are telling me that I can get 300hp out of a D with 10 psi and a good cam? Or are u actually talking about different mods, because if you actually read what I typed, I stated I will only be running 10 psi.....that should only put me around 230-260.......

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
staying at 10 psi, yeah you'll need the N02. But, personally, i'd feel more comfortable with a few other mods to make the engine strong and raising boost. A good build and 1 bar can net you 300 hp in a D. I would just un-comfortable with 10psi, pistions, connecting rods, and N02! Check out turbo D16....there's a guy on there with over 300whp and less mods than you're planning on doing.

Mark7901

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
child_racer said:
staying at 10 psi, yeah you'll need the N02. But, personally, i'd feel more comfortable with a few other mods to make the engine strong and raising boost. A good build and 1 bar can net you 300 hp in a D. I would just un-comfortable with 10psi, pistions, connecting rods, and N02! Check out turbo D16....there's a guy on there with over 300whp and less mods than you're planning on doing.

yeah, I agree...I was going to go the N02less route... (but it just sounds so fun).....I still am going to fully rebuild the engine over the winter so it can handle the power. First engine rebuild, should be fun. The reason I wanted to stay at 10 psi was because this will be a daily driver. This is my first experiement with all this s**t, so I kind of just had a plan and am going to stick with it......d-series has a lot of knowledgeable poeple too (along with CC and turbo16....)

rUdGrICk

92'cIvIc vX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
with a boosted d15b sohc i seen people get 203whp with the greddy turbo!and all stock engine.thats even more than a typeR,gsr,b16!it will snoke all that s**t and its cheaper too!

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^^^^true true. All the swap and boost peeps are only lookin' at 'total potential' instead of bang for the buck. Percentage wise, there aren't too many people with swaps and boost running around.......its usually swaps and bolt ons.

Prez

My Names JOhn...im kool.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ sadly im in that crowd :(

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
At least its better than what you started with........its all about positive progress! :thumbs up

Kjeldor

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does anyone know where can i get a d16z6? i know i should look in classifieds but is there some company that sells them as well? am gonna go to my local junkyards and look but if u guys know of some sites that sell the d series please let me know, i too plan on turboing my D!!!

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most companies that sell engines sell the JDM D15B's and call it a day on SOHC's. Your best luck is getting one from another person or a junk yard

norcal_civic

D-Series Revivalist
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright, I didn't read the whole thread, so somebody shoot me if this has already been said :roll: :

I am a strong supporter of the D16Z6. The head breathes better than a lot of Honda engines, and the internals are suprising strong for stock... However, I don't recommend over 10lbs of boost.

The D16 is actually better for turbo in most cases than the B16, mosty because of a lower stock compression. NA and turbo, the D16Z6 also has a better TQ curve than the B16.

I cannot stress enough the importance of building the internals if you want to run hight boost! If you don't, you could easily throw a rod! Go with eagle pistons and rods... and maybe a turbo cam from Crower (www.crower.com) just to help it breathe. You should be able to hit 300+ HP without a problem, and if you keep on going, you could make it to 400HP