Some issues... D16y8 in 98' Civic DX

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hello all, I come to you with some issues I need help with...

My buddy has a 1998 Civic DX Hatch that originally had a JDM B18C in it. It was taken out for a rebuild and a stock 1996-1998 Civic D16Y8 motor was dropped in. The engine harness, ECU, everything, was from the Civic EX donor car. We dropped it in, and ran into some issues. The car starts and runs, it just has problems.

1. The idle is fine when initially starting it. After driving however, the idle fluctuates between 2500-3000RPM and doesn't return to the 700-ish-RPM it's supposed to be. I believe this might be an issue based from a vacuum leak, which might be caused by the hoses on the intake manifold being placed incorrectly or something. On the D16y8 there is a black plastic hose outlet inbetween the fuel rail and the intake manifold, there are two outlets and I am unsure of what to do with it. The original black-box hose on the DX shell was replaced with a really long one for the B18C, but there seems to be two outlets on the intake manifold that have nowhere to be connected... I looked in the Helm's manual and couldn't find anything.

2. The car is throwing a code 15 for allegedly running lean and/or having a distributor issue. Should replacing the distributor with another one help? Or is there another underlying issue...

Also, completely irrelevant to the motor... does anyone have a diagram of where you bleed the rear brake drums with? We can't figure it out. Thanks all... =)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hello all, I come to you with some issues I need help with...

My buddy has a 1998 Civic DX Hatch that originally had a JDM B18C in it. It was taken out for a rebuild and a stock 1996-1998 Civic D16Y8 motor was dropped in. The engine harness, ECU, everything, was from the Civic EX donor car. We dropped it in, and ran into some issues. The car starts and runs, it just has problems.

1. The idle is fine when initially starting it. After driving however, the idle fluctuates between 2500-3000RPM and doesn't return to the 700-ish-RPM it's supposed to be. I believe this might be an issue based from a vacuum leak, which might be caused by the hoses on the intake manifold being placed incorrectly or something. On the D16y8 there is a black plastic hose outlet inbetween the fuel rail and the intake manifold, there are two outlets and I am unsure of what to do with it. The original black-box hose on the DX shell was replaced with a really long one for the B18C, but there seems to be two outlets on the intake manifold that have nowhere to be connected... I looked in the Helm's manual and couldn't find anything.

2. The car is throwing a code 15 for allegedly running lean and/or having a distributor issue. Should replacing the distributor with another one help? Or is there another underlying issue...

Also, completely irrelevant to the motor... does anyone have a diagram of where you bleed the rear brake drums with? We can't figure it out. Thanks all... =)
#1 sounds like you're talking about the PCV valve hose. There should be a nipple on the front top of the middle of the intake manifold. The hose runs from there to a black box underneath the intake manifold right up against the block. It's a b**** to get at but it is manageable without removing the intake manifold. Take off the intake manifold bracket underneath (it's completely useless) and if you have small hands, you can get at it.

#2 not sure. What does code 15 translate to in terms of P0000?? Try googling it?

I believe the bleeder valves on the drums are on the backside of the drum cover, facing out the back of the car?

Last edited: