• ls vtec

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • boost the d16y8

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I'm looking at getting a swap done next summer, cause I'm going to school. I have loans for school and right now about 7500$ cash for some spending money during school. So ya with the swap I'm just planning on the engine, and prolly headers and full exhaust and then summer after that ( or sometime around there ) go boost and then from there it's just gonna be building the engine. So what I get I want to have decent power without the boost and since I'm planning on boost I'd like it to handle boost decent stock, and obviously buildable for boost as well. So here's some ideas I was thinking about:

btw: right now I have a 2000 civic ex running a stock d16y8, and it's auto so I need some linkage and stuff to do that manual conversion too.

b16a sir1:
cheaper
obd0
decent stock power
can take boost

b16a sir2:
obd1
better power and torque at same rpm as sir1 b16a

b20:
a hella lot cheaper
non vtec
I heard it has thinner cylinder walls and not great for boost, but someone else told me it is good for boost?

b18c - gsr
idk much about these...anyone?

h22a
cheaper,
alot of power stock ( 200hp )
heard they also have thin cylinder walls so bad for boost

So if anyone can give me some good suggestions or additional info on these possibilities I'd love the help. Also I'm estimation my budget to be under 3500$. And I DO want boost, no na. Thanks in advance. Hope this is the right section...

=)

Edit: here's a few ideas/examples.

http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/engine_details.php?id=2&page=1

http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/engine_details.php?id=3&page=1

http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/engine_details.php?id=14&page=2

http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/13/Honda_B16A_II_Civic_Si-R

http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/12/Honda_B16A_I_Civic_Si-R

http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/14/Honda_B16A_II_Civic_Si-R

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Gsr. Do some research please.

kaylor99

5+ Year Member
I would say k20a but thats a little over your budget but they have like 220hp and could handle boost.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your a little backwards with your plans.

id suggest building the motor some before you boost it.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your a little backwards with your plans.

id suggest building the motor some before you boost it.
I guess, it all just depends on my funds after school and everything. plans are as follows:

Summer 2010 - swap
Summer 2011 - boost

So yea. And I thought k20's weren't good for boost and best for NA? I've done some research on the other engines but I just didn't really do anything on the k20 because of hearing that I just didn't really even try. Plus, yea they're a little over my budget. I doubt I'll have much over 4000$ by next summer.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The only reason k20s are not good for boost is because they have a high stock compression, the internals are just as reliable as any other honda motor, which means they will have to be replaced with aftermarket ones. The stuff for a k20 will be a lot more expensive to buy, thats why boosted b series motor are a lot more popular.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k motor swap take a d-series motor and build it up for boost,s**t is cheaper and easy to find parts compare ti b-series.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**k motor swap take a d-series motor and build it up for boost,s**t is cheaper and easy to find parts compare ti b-series.
Yea I mean I really thought of that but there's 2 main reasons I don't want to do that...

1 - It's a single and I guess after I boost it, it can't handle much, and also I can't do a ton to it after that besides build it. I mean I guess I just don't see as many high boosted singles as I do doubles. idk. If someone knows alot about boosting d's then let me know.

2 - I have an auto tranny right now, and that needs to be changed anyways.

I guess it's still in the maybe file...

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the numbers in the engine codes correspond to how many liters it is......and how many liters it is corresponds to how thick the cyinder walls are....so a b16a2 would be your best bet......its the cheapest on your list besides the b20, it has vtec, theyve been proven to hold over 600whp on stock internals (with a GOOD GOOD tune), and since you have a ex its a really easy swap......b16's arent very fast stock but it will be a huge upgrade compared to your y8

EM1_Chris

5+ Year Member
I would suggest Hmotorsonline.com if you want to buy a full swap or any type of engine/parts. They have a big rep and great warranties in case something is broken during shipment.

Call em up, talk to Steve about your situation and he will answer your questions on what type of swap or what your options are.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would suggest Hmotorsonline.com if you want to buy a full swap or any type of engine/parts. They have a big rep and great warranties in case something is broken during shipment.

Call em up, talk to Steve about your situation and he will answer your questions on what type of swap or what your options are.
Awesome, I'll give a good look at that. Thanks. But I have a guy in town that does alot of work and has an online store and so forth. And was planning on going through him...

the numbers in the engine codes correspond to how many liters it is......and how many liters it is corresponds to how thick the cyinder walls are....so a b16a2 would be your best bet......its the cheapest on your list besides the b20, it has vtec, theyve been proven to hold over 600whp on stock internals (with a GOOD GOOD tune), and since you have a ex its a really easy swap......b16's arent very fast stock but it will be a huge upgrade compared to your y8
Thanks for the info man. And they can handle 600whp? on stock internals?! that's crazy. Not to doubt you but really?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
+1 Rebuild the bottom end wih rods, pins and pistons and bearings to lower the compression and u could boost 12-18 psi on a good tune w/o a problem. 5speed swap should be easy to do and cheap.I would upgrade your clutch and either replace or resuface ur flywheel. D to B swaps have alot of things that add up quickly.. Plus your Auto so add more cash to swap.

I swapped to a B20 then went boost w/o Vtec. Yea, I cant keep traction, but it sure is fun. But i couldve built the D so much cheaper with vtec.. Just my opinion thru my experience. SAVE THE SOHC..lol

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info man. And they can handle 600whp? on stock internals?! that's crazy. Not to doubt you but really?
yeah its true, 636 to be exact haha....but my point on telling you that was it would be pretty safe to make 200-250 on a turbo'd b16 with no internals as long as you build it and tune it right

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea I mean I really thought of that but there's 2 main reasons I don't want to do that...

1 - It's a single and I guess after I boost it, it can't handle much, and also I can't do a ton to it after that besides build it. I mean I guess I just don't see as many high boosted singles as I do doubles. idk. If someone knows alot about boosting d's then let me know.

2 - I have an auto tranny right now, and that needs to be changed anyways.

I guess it's still in the maybe file...
dude aftermarket rods and piston only cost 350 from FJ .

also there are s**t load of boosted d-seires.

go here,people there are boosting it up to 700hp
www.d-series.org

also doing motor swap is a pain in the ass.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea, you guys have got me seriously considering it now...

edit: added a poll with the main paths I'm considering.

Please vote.

Edit: I was being a noob and the mod is merging another thread I made, cause I thought this one was deleted. my bad. also for the poll the boosted d16 has 2 votes. woot.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BUMP.

1 vote for ls vtec
1 vote for boosted d16y8

Also I just thought if I don't boost the d16, it's kinda just a waste cause it will just be an engine sitting there. So ya.

Edit: I have an ongoing todo list for my car. This is what it's looking like now...

mount balasts
Exhaust
muffler
laser tracker
side markers
exhaust header
manual tranny swap
boost!!!
engine rebuild
crankshaft
pistons
sleeve
rods
axles
radiator
intake manifold
spark plugs
spark plug wires
more boost!!!
carbon fiber hood
camber kit
lca's
lower tie bar
strut bars - front/rear
fix cig lighter
racing seats
tow hooks
brake kit
weight reduction
rear seats
C/C
trunk and rear carpet
rear panels
spare tire
jack
light battery
carpet rear

Edit #2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8xEOwo_GAo

=)

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can sell the d16 once its out
yea, but not for much at all.

Also I talked to a guy tonight. And will meet with this like expert guy tomorrow night. So I was thinking to save some tuning costs ( so I don't have to tune once and then again later when I build the engine a bit ). So I was thinking how much do you guys think this stuff will run me?

1 - manual swap
2 - boost
3 - rods and pistons
4 - head gasket
5 - and anything else I'd need to handle about 350whp or so...
6 - tune

And the parts that I put in I'd like to be of some real nice quality. I've heard sleeves can handle around 400hp and head is good too.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
have you ever been in a civic with 350hp? a eg with 200hp is faster than 90% of the things youll run into on the road....if you made 350 youd need shocks and tires for traction, sleeves, oiling kit if you do a lsvtec, head studs, concave pistons, rods, bearings, stronger axels, lsd tranny, bigger injectors, colder plugs, bette wires, external ignition coil......the list goes on and on

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What do you think about this?

So ya I think my old thread got deleted or something...dang.

Well here's my plan. I have a 2000 Civic ex. Mostly stock right now. running a d16y8 And I'm going to school so that's why this is kinda a slow build. So here's the plan:

Manual swap before boost then,
Collect parts during winter, fall, and spring for a turbo and put it in Summer 2010. Planning on getting something small that will spool on low rpms, like 2500 or so. t3/t4 or something like that. Then put it in and tune. With that and all the turbo stuff, including a full header and header back exhaust. I was hoping to do this for under 2500$? is that fairly reasonable. Plus I'm gonna be really looking for good deals to build the system. And then get that to run on the stock internals d16y8 and from what I hear can handle about 200-220hp on a good tune. Then Summer 2011 build the bottom end and get boost up and get hopefully around 350whp. With pistons, rods, maybe crank, cams, etc. Then do a good tune again.

So if I could get some feedback on what you guys think please let me know.

Edit:

btw this is another thread about my car...

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=171506