Some windows will not work

stric9

I just got a 1996 Civic, and I thought that this issue would be an easy fix. The driver side windows work just fine (front and back), but the passenger side windows do not work at all. I've checked the fuses (under the hood and under the dash) and have been unable to find anything yet. I haven't taken the door panels off to check the motors, but I wasn't sure if that was the correct approach. Any ideas?

Also, the sun roof is not working either. Could there be a short somewhere in the car taking the power out to these 3 motors? Thanks in advance :D

Scott Gardner

unplug the switch and clean the connections with contact cleaner.

xWIREMANx

The drivers door switch is usually the master switch for all doors so if it is bad then the it may cause problems with other doors, but the sunroof should not be tied into that. It sounds more like you either have bad motors, more than one bad switch, bad grounds or grounding issues in the car or no power to the motors. You can always test the motors by disconnecting them and putting 12volts directly to them to see if they move. If they move then check for power at the wires to the motor and see what is missing (ground or power) If you test one motor and it works then most likely the the others work to and it is a problem within your electrical system. If the motor doesn't move then proceed to test another. Just use the process of elimination method.

stric9

So I took the door panel off the front passenger side, and using a test light I found out that I'm not getting any power to that side at all. I took the master switch off the driver side door, and with the light I have some wires that are powered and some that are not. I'm trying to find a wiring diagram that can tell me which wires (if not all) are supposed to be powered. Any good sites to get wiring diagrams? I'm looking but apparently I'm an idiot.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do you have power locks if so do they work? if they dont work then its the power lock sunroof fuse under the hood that is making your sunroof not work.

99CEX

I'm having some weird issues as well (not trying to threadjack) on my 97, but when I close my passenger door (coupe) the window won't go up or down (it's not off track and the motor works) ...

I have to open and close the door while putting the window down in order for it work work (go up or down) .... otherwise if I open the passenger door, put the window down, and then close it again while not holding the switch - the window wont go up or down.

anyone experience this? I'm LOST! :(

xWIREMANx

I'm having some weird issues as well (not trying to threadjack) on my 97, but when I close my passenger door (coupe) the window won't go up or down (it's not off track and the motor works) ...

I have to open and close the door while putting the window down in order for it work work (go up or down) .... otherwise if I open the passenger door, put the window down, and then close it again while not holding the switch - the window wont go up or down.

anyone experience this? I'm LOST! :(
You have a broken wire in your door boot or it's pulling the pin loose from the molex plug when you shut the door. Most likely broken wire though.

99CEX

Interesting. I'm gonna drop it off at Honda on Monday. Me and electrics are a no go.